02-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I don't know how a BMW supercar would be welcomed, now or in the future when the world economy was much better. Regardless of what some here may say about the R8, Audi went about producing a supercar right, they bought a supercar manufacturer then turned around their products to be the best available, only then did they shared out technology to make the R8, thus giving their own product respectability.

BMW have tried and failed to product a supercar that sold, to try again might have better luck but then again it might not and history isn't on they side. If they are serious around it then do what Audi did, buy someone already failing in the business of manufacturing supercars and turn them round.
Explain.

Are you using old, old history to support any claims that BMW might fail if they made a supercar now? If you're referring to the horrible muck up of a launch that was the M1, there's absolutely no correlation between how that went down and how a possible supercar would end up coming out now. Lamborghini screwed up big time with that project (M1).

It's not necessary to buy out a dying supercar brand, nor is it always the best idea. I can't think of any current floundering supercar company that's worth buying out right now, at least for BMW.
Appreciate 0