View Single Post
      06-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #125
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
Hi, and thank you for this very useful information.

I just finished detailing my '99 328i per David's "Detailing 101" thread. Per his suggestions, and using Zaino products, I washed, clayed, Zaino AIO, Z2 sealant, then finished with Z6 quick detailer. Since I then ran out of time, the following weekend (yesterday, actually), I again washed, applied another coat of Z2, then finished w/ Z8 quick detailer.

Even though my paint is 8 years old last month, it looks 1 month old (except for many chips in the front only visible from 2-3 feet, and if you are looking for them). So what process, using what products, would I use in place of the process I outlined? It seems you feel AIO's are somewhat of a shortcut, and I'd like to understand if I'm taking any shortcuts, and how to improve the process I used. Thanks.
You are using the Z-AIO as a polish and to provide a base coat for your Z-2, which is perfectly fine. If you are looking to correct more imperfections, consider a pure polish instead of the AIO, like Z-PC or the Menzerna line of polishes. I've yet to find an all in one product that out performs two separate steps. Keeping it in perspective, Z-PC + Z-2 would yield more imperfections removed and longer durability than Z-AIO alone.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post this question here, so please let me know if it is.

Unfortunately, all 4 of my wheels (8 years old) have significant damage from scraping against curbs while parking. Can this be repaired to a reasonable degree? I wouldn't expect them to look brand new, but it sure would be nice if they can look reasonably better. Any advice on who to go to for this service?

And I also have 3 door dings that are now really standing out after detailing the car. A full detailing really makes the beauty of the paint and clear coat stand out, but it also makes the imperfections stand out. There is a quickie car wash near my home that also offers the service of ding removal. Or should I take it to a body shop? Not sure. Thanks.
For the curb rash, check out this article...
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

For the dings, if the paint is not creased you may be able to get by with paintless dent removal, if it is creased you'll need to take it to a body shop.

Quote:
Hi George. I use only 1 bucket, but after each time the soapy mitt wipes the surface of my car, I take my hose with moderate pressure and fully rinse the mitt. So the mitt is fully rinsed before addinig it back into my water bucket. Using this technique, after washing my car, the water in the bucket is perfectly clear, as though it had not been used. Is this safe, or do you continue to recommend the two bucket method? I know David recommended this in his "Detailing 101" thread.
This technique is fine, I haven't personally used this method but I'm sure it is similar in terms of safe cleaning techniques. I still like the idea of a rinse bucket with a Grit Guard insert and will continue to recommend that method. I like gliding the mitt across the GG in multiple directions to really help release contamination. I would imagine that using the hose is more work to achieve similar results.

Quote:
You know, reading this thread, and parts of others, I am really concerned abou the dealer doing the prep, even if I ask my salesman not to. At this point, I am still waiting for dealer allocation, so my order is not yet even placed. When he gives me a production number, I'll let him know. And I'll remind him many times until my car comes in. But I can soooo easily see the car getting prepped. I wonder if they have a process to support any requests to not perform the prep, or is it simply dependent upon the salesman's communication to the "detailer", and that particular "detailer" remembering which cars to prep, and which not to prep? Uggh...
Good luck with everything and let us know how you make out. If a dealer prepped my vehicle when I told them not to prep it, I personally would not take delivery and find a new dealership to work with. If you make it known to them that it means that much to not prep your vehicle, I doubt they would.

George
Appreciate 0