View Single Post
      06-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #131
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXtreme View Post
I just came back from checking out my car and it seems like there's so much more scratches on my hood now . There are some scratches along the contour line on the hood (under bright halogen light, not so clear under sunlight) and mostly swirls and surface scratch. I don't have a close up shot of the scratches, but these can be felt by my nails.

I am wondering if these scatches can be polish/buff out by detailers or I have to get it into a body shop? If I were to do it myself..what steps and products would you recommend? Thanks
From what you are describing BMXtreme, you may be out of luck. First indication is that you can feel them with your nails. The biggest problem with that is typically to remove imperfections that can be felt with your nails typically require high speed buffing, wet sanding or possibly a respray. Unfortunately, the scratches are on a ridge, which means the paint is thinner in those areas, which makes it difficult to safely take a high speed buffer or anything more aggressive to that area. To perform correctly, I don't know if this is a job I'd recommend tackling yourself. I'd seek the advice of some local professionals and weigh your options. Perhaps a more detailed close up picture can help me better assess the situation. Keep us posted on what you end up doing and how you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
George,
I want to get a PC from your site, but have a few questions.
If I use a towel ontop of the pad, do I need a different pad for different applications?
Can I wash the pads in a way so that I can reuse them?
Do I need the 6" counter weight?

Thanks
Coldintake, thanks for contacting us. When you say a towel ontop of the pad, do you mean using a bonnet? Or literally putting a MF towel on top of the foam pad? If so what would be the purpose, product removal? The buffer is designed specifically for applying products, not removing them. All products should still be removed by hand even if applied with a buffer. Bonnets can create marring rather quickly and another problem with removing with the buffer too is that you cannot always reach all parts of the paint and would be left with product residue in the hard to reach areas of the car.

I recommend using our General Purpose Microfiber Towels for product removal.

Pads can be washed and reused many times, if taken care of properly. Never let product sit in the pads for an extended period of time. You want to wash them immediate after usage for maximum durability of the pads. I do recommend using 1 pad per product though. You do not want to mix the products on the same pads because inevitably there will be some remains of the previous product on the pad and could potentially negate your results.

The 6" counter weight will help reduce some of the vibration the buffer gives off. I've used the PC with both counter weights and do not notice much of a difference.

Let me know if you need a hand with any thing else or if you have any other questions regarding the PC. I'm sure you'll love the time and effort you'll save and most importantly better results when polishing!

George
Appreciate 0