12-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #100
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmit View Post
No, it's because it doesn't have full postcodes so if you try to put one in you're forced to approximate to where it thinks you should go. If you knew precisely where you wanted to navigate to, you wouldn't really need navigation would you?
Full postcodes are often imprecise anyway so it's not 100% reliable way of defining a destination.

You can define your destination precisely by using the full address or by defining the place you need to go using the "point on a map function".

The key phrase you use is "you're forced to approximate to where you (rather than it) thinks you should go". It's not the sat nav making the approximation it's you!

However I accept your point that if you don't know the precise location the satnav does not give you an easy way to define it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmit View Post
If you knew precisely where you wanted to navigate to, you wouldn't really need navigation would you?
Not true. You use the navigation to tell you how to get there from where you are.

The problems you allude to are most prevalent when visting a business address where you don't really have a street name and number to go to.
In which case postcodes actually are the best way of defining the destination point. However whilst they are getting better, occasionally they can be wrong and hence you end up being late for a meeting because you've ended up a quarter of a mile from the actual place you needed to be.

This has happened to me whether I've used Tomtom, BMW satnav, Copilot or whatever else, so it's not a problem of only the BMW system. However because BMW don't have 7 digit postcodes then it does make life more difficult.

That's why if I am going to a business meeting I always check out precisely where I am due to go, using a PC/Streetview/Google Maps and then program the destination on the BMW satnav. If I could be bothered to pay the extortionate £120 annual fee to send it directly from my PC to the car life would be even easier.

Last edited by Sir_Pigley; 12-11-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0