View Single Post
      03-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #82
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I owned an 07 GT with a 5 speed and currently own a Jan 08 build 335i coupe with an AT.

First, let me agree with those that told suggested a long test ride in both. Do it. You can't tell anything from a short test drive. They are very different cars.

GT Pros
  • Loud (I had a Roush "off road" exhaust--no other mods)
  • LSD
  • Retro (good and bad)
  • V8--something about that V8 sound
  • Solid build
  • Solid gearbox and clutch
  • Raw "brute force" muscle car experience
  • Lots of mods available

GT Cons
  • Handling-no comparison to the BMW. Even with a bone stock engine the car felt overpowered for its handling capabilities. Straight line--ok, any steering involved--kinda scary
  • Squat on WOT from low speeds
  • Loud--exhaust was fun to start with but boy does it wear on you
  • Interior--solid but cheap--pretty sad instrument cluster/display/info (comparing to my other Ford which is an Escape)
  • Seats--god, my back was killing me after an hour in that car
  • Body flex (car needs to be stiffer)

335i Pros
  • Seats--my back is happy (can't enjoy a car with a screaming back)
  • Handling, handling, handling!
  • No worries about power/handling. Little squat (compared to the GT), no worries about control of the car with native power. (In fact, no worries about that even with--ahem--"upgrades" as compared to the GT)
  • Interior quality
  • Climate control
  • Good set of mods available
  • AT is actually pretty good--but I do wish I'd gone with the MT
  • Solid--little flex compared to GT

335i Cons
  • Cost (not such an issue at the moment though)
  • Potential issues with high pressure fuel pump (none for me--yet.)
  • Rattles - believe it or not the 335 has more rattles than the GT (dealer has been able to help this--a little)

Remember these are my opinions and what matters are your opinions. It all depends on what you're looking for and what fits your style. Some of the handling issues with the GT can be addressed with Saleen or Roush suspension upgrades--that will never get around that solid rear axle--but it can address some of the other problems.

Bottom line, do extended test drives in both cars. As noted earlier they're very different machines--it's not a "which is best" decision as much as "which is best for me" decision. It's a buyer's market right now--and if one dealer or seller won't let you do a long test drive then just move on.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-06-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0