View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

JimmyLad, if you've got a reasonable driving record, put yourself on the insurance too, it will reduce it.
Think about putting daughter as main driver, so she can earn some NCB in her own name so when she becomes financially independant of you, she has a head start (do they EVER become financially indepandant??). That is if your wife has another car for her NCB!!

Old Clio unreliability. Tell me about it.
Daughter's 1994 Clio 1.4 has now done about 60k (she bought it at 26ish). It's had a new rad expansion tank and rad fan (fan siezed, engine boiled and split the expansion tank). New pads and discs (twice, due to rust). New rear brake cylinder and shoes. 4 new tyres as the original ones looked perished. Rear silencer. Oils. Filters. Plugs. Wipers. She's now doing about 12k a year in it and I fully expect it to explode every day. Cheap motoring as she didn't pay 6 grand for it, but 6 hundred.

Bonus for her is that in the hospital multi storey car par where she is a student, nobody wants the narrow spaces next to the pillars, and she can slide the Clio into them and is never looking for a parking spot. Can't do that with a new Clio! Mind you, I couldn't get into the door - luckily she is somewhat slimmer than me!!

Mike

Last edited by AlwynMike; 03-24-2013 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Spelchek
Appreciate 0