05-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #19
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
petesamprs - I understand how you might feel that keeping the wires all within the light enclosure is the "cleanest" - but that space is pretty cramped to begin with, the bundle of wires that you have to access to get the correct power lead is neatly bound before you start messing with it, and the problems that many people have had with getting adequate ground are all troublesome to me.

My biggest problem with that install method is the crimp-on tap for the power lead. Those types of taps actually slice through the insulation on the wire that it is tapping, getting its power feed from the "blades" contacting the conductor. I don't want any of the wires in my precious car cut in any way if I can avoid it - Bimmers are already known to have their share of electrical problems and I don't want to be the cause of one. Plugging the Fuse Tap into the fuse block is actually double protection - the original circuit is still protected by its original fuse, and the new circuit has its own separate fuse. It is drawing its power directly from the fuse block supply which comes from the battery, and thus is reasonably isolated from any interference on any other circuit. This is "clean" power in my opinion.

The routing of the wires, while it is a further distance, is very hidden and unnoticable - and can be very easily removed without any disturbance to any of the car's components. All wiring connections are hidden behind the fuse door, but are easily accessable in case a fuse blows etc. And the final benefit is that it will be equally easy to route the single wire to the glove box / V1 hardwire adapter if I ever decide to add the remote display module for greater stealth operations. If it was in the light enclosure, I'd have to rip that sucker open again just to replace the fuse.

The great thing is - now there are illustrated instructions for both install methods here on e90Post - each user can choose the DIY that suits them best !