Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbracing View Post
The main benefit with going with a K&N filter (or similar) is the $$$$ Let me break it down for the deet-da-deets, You spend ($20) on oem, and replace it every 30,000 miles. Depending on your environment (dirty,sandy,dusty) you might/should replace at 15,000, So how many oem filter changes will you do? K&N for my 2011 335i is $54. So you tell me why after my free maintenance is up, why would I continue to pay ($20) for a filter when K&N will last a lifetime for only $54! Look at 98% of off road race trucks (including mine), they use K&N and have never have problem with foreign material ingestion.
You make a good point. It still concerns me because of that charcoal filter. Did you remove that filter on your 335? Some people say delete it, others say don't. Some people say K&N is the way to go, some don't. I have had K&N's in every car I've had before my 328 and had no trouble. But when I posed the question to a BMW garage owner he all but had a coronary when I told him I put a K&N in my car. I've already returned it but I'm still not sure… maybe I should have kept it. There seems to be no real solid answer when it comes to this. I'm still researching….
Appreciate 0