03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #91
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Things that dont affect me, dont bother me. Things that could affect me, do get my attention.

So she got an expensive car. It's not like I have delusions that if her dad bought her a new Kia, then some of the $$ difference might somehow be spent on me instead. Financially my life is unaffected either way.

However, even if she legitimately earned the money herself (appeared in commercials or whatever other way someone that young could legitimately earn that kinda money), the point remains, she still only has a 16-year olds skillset, even if she has a 40-year olds wallet.

She will likely not have the experience or skills to provide the correct inputs to keep a challenging car like that pointed straight if something does happen (say a dog runs in front while negotiating a corner, she doesn't have to be racing).

Odds are good shes more likely to hurt herself or others (me?), compared to the same scenario in a new Lexus sedan or something.

That's the part I have a problem with. I have friends who own a Kawasaki dealership. They wont sell a 1100cc sportbike to a novice rider, even if he has cash in hand. They will steer him to a starter bike, and if he doesnt like it, they will let him walk. I got big respect for that. Too bad car dealerships never do that.
I supposed i would argue against this logic. Sports cars in general are more stable in evasive maneuvers than other cars that aren't designed to make quick transitions from one direction to another. Most sports car makers are now putting lots of nanny controls in these cars because more often than not, the people who are buying them don't have the skill set to drive them at 10/10 or 9/10 of the cars capabilities. Porsches PSM system is great for making sure the car is pointed where you want it to go. I've driven rear wheel drive cars all my life and do so with all nannys turned off. I learned to drive with out them and enjoy doing so. my 911 is damn near impossible to get sideways without massive amounts of speed, even on gravel it doesn't want to get sideways.

But then we have a 16yr old girls mind set which varies quite a bit from a 16yr old boys or even a 25yr old boys for that matter. Most girls are interesting in the status, color and shape of a vehicle. Usually in that order. Rarely are they interested in how many hp or how much torque is has. They are not typically interested in racing or even driving fast. Most of them are scared to drive fast. They just want a cute vehicle to get to the mall in so they can meet their friends.

Point is, i doubt you have much to fear by this girl or many girls getting a new 911 for their 16th birthday. None of us do. We have much more to fear from any boy getting any car for his 16th birthday.

I suppose most will think that your buddies motorcycle shop should be commended for the service they provide to save inexperienced riders' lives. But this all comes back to people being responsible for their actions. Should a bar tender cut someone off who is inebriated? Yes. Why, because this person has past the point of making sound decisions. Should someone not sell a first time rider a large CC sport bike? No. Why, because it's none of their business what they're buying that bike for.

These machines (cars, motorbikes, etc...) all have these things on them called throttles. They determine how much air and fuel go into the motor which makes the machines go faster or slower. The driver or rider has complete control of these things and can decide how much or little throttle input to give. The more responsibility we take away from individuals the less responsibility they will take on for themselves in other aspects of their lives.