View Single Post
      12-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
What's the reason you want to swap the RFTs for standard tyres?

Since there is no spare tyre, you need to come up with a good Plan B if you do not have RFTs. Additionally, the complaints I've heard about RFTs are that:

- they make the ride too firm
- they tramline/don't handle well etc etc.

I find both these complaints are totally wrong. I can easily drive over potholed London streets at 30mph without slowing down or trying to avoid potholes and without passengers complaining. I can drive right over speed humps with either no slowing down or minimal slowing down.

On the open road I run out of skill level, visibility around bends and definitely speed limit long before I get limited by tyre traction. They work fine in dry weather, wet weather and cold weather. No problems with RFTs for me, OTOH I didn't pay extra for M-sport suspension and oversized wheels only to spend more money to soften up the ride.....

BTW I still get 20mpg around central London in a 330d
I think the reason why you dont have a problem with runflats is that you have the LCI.
I've owned both pre-LCI 330d M Sport and LCI 330d M Sport and the most noticable difference between the two cars is the ride. The pre-LCI is a great car indeed, but very harsh on the ride. The LCI is significantly better and not only is the ride better - the handling is not affected whatsoever. I'd agree that the LCI does not really need a change to non-run flats, but the pre-LCI does IMO.

For performance delivery, the old 330d is a little more aggressive (more on/off) and thus feels quite fast. For the LCI they have smoothed out the power delivery and it appears to rev a little higher and feels more similiar to a petrol engine. Both have got bags of torque and bags of pull. Ultimately, the LCI is a little quicker, but not by a lot. This of course makes it even closer to the performance of the 335d, as said above. The 335d is no doubt a great, fast car - but only really comes into its own at licence-losing speeds.

Incidently, in the 2 years I owned my pre-LCI, the only thing that went wrong was the CD changer which was replaced under warranty. Fantastic car all-in-all. Engines do seem bullet proof from what I can tell and have read.
Appreciate 0