Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
haha Its not impossible to do, but without the right tools and a hoist I don't even think its a mod worth attempting. Most mechanics drop the sub-frame to get access to the turbos, to be honest, pay cash to one of your local aftermarket mechanics who specialize in BMW's and have them do it for piece of mind. A pro can have the old ones out in 5 hours and the new ones in before the end of the day if they work straight. Might run you $700-900 but thats the cost of having a 500HP monster

If your serious about doing this here is a quick list of tools off the top of my head...

T50 torx---Manifold Nuts
11mm deep socket---Manifold nuts
E8 external torx---Heat shields
T30 torx---Oil and Coolant lines
8mm---splash shields
E10 torx---Steering shaft
16mm---aluminum thrust plate
18mm---Subfame
E14---motor mount
E12---water pump
10mm---thermostat
13mm---v-clamps on cat
12mm---exhast collector

This is just off the top off my head. Dont forget the wastegates need to be adjusted, so you will need a vacuum pump. Again, I want to stress that this is not a light job. And not a job I would not want to do without a lift. The front turbo can actually come out the top, but the rear turbo has to come out the bottom.
Wait the subframe rail must be removed i thought it was the seering rack that needed to be dropped and then you have access, I'm 100% sure That i WILL be doing it. haha i work at a regular indy shop and that where i do my walnut shell blasting every weekend. I do have a ton of tools and the waste ages do come adjusted from Vargas. I'm pretty mechanical and if i had to pull the N54 guess what its coming out
but not gonna pay to get it done just cuz i work at a shop don't see the point.

Are you saying this off the top of you head from experience? haha
Appreciate 0