footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Explain.

Are you using old, old history to support any claims that BMW might fail if they made a supercar now? If you're referring to the horrible muck up of a launch that was the M1, there's absolutely no correlation between how that went down and how a possible supercar would end up coming out now. Lamborghini screwed up big time with that project (M1).
I was only using the R8 as an example of a manufacturer better know for producing beautifully built and fast but ultimately boring and safe motorcars in the eyes of the majority. No one would have thought that Audi would succeed where both BMW and Mercedes have failed. I put that down to basically re-badging a Gallardo and put it's technology into and equally beautiful shell, but the re-badge on it's own wouldn't have been enough, Audi had to be seen as the saviour to Lamborghini, to turn that failing company around and make it appear to the rest of the world that Audi's technical know-how was responsible for Lamboghini's success. This alone is the reason in my eyes as to why the R8 has been accepted as an equal to Porsche, Ferrari and even Lamborghini but Audi wisely keep it's pricing modest by supercar standard, after all it is still an Audi.

Audi succeed first time round, with BMW they have already tried with the M1 and sadly that car fell flat of it's face, to revive their supercar program and base it on a car that failed last time round it wrong. BMW have the ability to build an amazing good supercar but is ability enough to win over buyers, that is the only point I was trying to make and not turn it into an Audi vs BMW thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
It's not necessary to buy out a dying supercar brand, nor is it always the best idea. I can't think of any current floundering supercar company that's worth buying out right now, at least for BMW.
Audi were lucky, at that time Lamborghini were in problems and regardless of their failings they were the one true rival to the greatest supercar company of them all (Ferrari). BMW don't have the luxury of a failing supercar brand to buy out, but if they can ride the current economical storm there may well be a few to pick from.
Appreciate 0