Thread: My New Ride!
View Single Post
      11-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Congrats...the STI is a great vehicle. If you want some advice from an '05 STi owner who has done about every mod in the book...

List of mods you should get in order:

1) Cobb AP
2) Turbo back exhaust
3) Cold air intake
4) Custom tune
5) Sway bars
6) Springs

The bang for your buck decreases dramatically after that list. I went through the progression of stock, stage 1, stage 2, pro tune stage 2, two upgraded turbos.

Stage 1 is a mild increase in power, nothing crazy. Stage 2 is really noticeable, huge gains. Getting a custom tune instead of the OTS map makes the car a torque monster down low. The intake isn't necessary for stage 2, might free up a few hp, probably more for sound.

A decent set of springs and sways will really make the cars handling come alive. I hate coilovers for street use, too expensive, too much overkill.

Unless you plan to seriously track your car a lot, do not go past the stock turbo, you get into a lot of necessary upgrades from there: intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, turbo inlet, etc, etc. If you're not scared of meth, a pro tuned stage 2 + meth will make an obscene amount of torque that'll cause you to giggle like a school girl when you mash the accelerator.
Appreciate 0