View Single Post
      04-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
Is there now a general agreement that tuning does affect the long term reliability of our cars?
If not, then who can say the potential warranty issue has been caused by a re-map?
And if you can't say that, it can't be 'morally bereft' to remove the map just to ensure you get the required work done under the warranty.... can it?
The fact users hide the map at service and warranty time, indicates they know they are on sticky ground.

Best test is is ask BMW if a map breaks the 'terms and conditions', then we know the score.

It is not really to do with the car's reliability (or not) with maps, but BMW do have the right to set the terms and conditions, for what qualifies as a warranty claim.

I've been in business where we set the terms and conditions for our product. Totally different attitude to those who used a product 'reasonably' to those who blatantly abused the product and expected us, as the manufacturer, to carry the costs...

Even with a map fitted, unrelated items should still be covered by warranty, but where there is a possibility (or probability) that it is related, then the 'play and pay' can be the only honest and fair approach. But as I said before, the good guys will be contributing to those who abuse the terms and conditions, there is no free lunch, and it won't be BMW's profit line that pays, I assure you.

Remember car insurance and a reason we pay so much, partly to fund those who abuse the system.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0