09-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
I've read through some other threads about this and could just be a low battery.
The cars is booked in for a diognostics soon. Will keep you all updated

Thanks

+1

Few things to consider.
1- check your battery and if it is aftermarket battery, then that might be the cause. Also if your battery is dying, that could lead to it.
2- On pre-LCI, this is common fault. Steering lock gets locked and unlocked with the key insertion.
In LCI, they have changed the design of this lock and coded it to work with locking and unlocking of the doors rather with insertion of the key.
3- If your car is pre-LCI, search for the DIY and it shows you how to clean the lock and that may help. (if you know what you are doing)
4- If you cannot do it and you take it to dealer, they may change the steering column + update the software for pre-LCI.
However if failure happens on LCI, then protocol is to update the software only first and that should resolve. If that does not, then change the steering coloumn as well.

This is what I have gathered from 2 days of reading post on this before I updated my DSC module.

HTH.