View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
Thanks for the info and photos Dacklone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I believe the diff oil BMW specs is: Castrol SAF-XJ. It says so right on the label you can use it in ALL bmw models, even M models.
SAF-XJ 75W-140 is much higher viscosity than SAF-XO 75W-90:

-XO | -XJ
15.2 | 25.0KV @ 40ºC, cSt
100 | 177.2KV @ 100ºC, cSt

That's a much bigger difference in viscosity than between Red Line 75W-90 and 75W-90NS. I thought -XJ was for limited slip diffs only. It mentions limited slip on the label in your photo, and it also says "most passenger car final drives".

I'm not sure what the consequences of using a higher viscosity oil in the differential would be.

Quote:
The 1M uses the exact same manual trans as a 2011(and up!) N55 powered 135i. I suspect its the same trans used in the 335i too - but I have not checked. I know when the 1M came out BMW claimed it was somewhat different - but its not.
335i / N54 engine: ZF GS6-53BZ
135i / N54 engine: ZF GS6-45BZ (AFAIK)

Quote:
Btw... LT3 was replaced by LT5. The 1M uses LT5. I also heard that for the 1M LT5 has been replaced now by LT6. That would not surprise me at al - since bmw likes to superceed these oils over time.
MTF-LT-5 is Pentosin FFL-3, and is specified by ZF for the GS6-45BZ, but not for the GS6-53BZ.

Now that I'm mentioning that, ZF recommends MTF-LT 1, 2 and 3 for the GS6-53BZ, depending on the label on the transmission.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the LT-3 is just for fuel efficiency alone. I'm going to look up the oil spec for the E9x M3 6MT.

Quote:
For my manual trans 135i - I used Redline ATF-D4. I been using D4 for about 35K miles now. I've also used AFT-D4 in my old e36 manual for 100K miles with no issues either. The advantage of ATF-D4 is it shifts MUCH smoother than BMW oils do. You can also use Redline's ATF-D6 as well. D6 is a slightly thinner oil.
Red Line D6 ATF seems to be the closest match in their products for MTF-LT-3. The only info I have on viscosity of the LT-3 is that Virigin Oil Analysis that one guy on BITOG did. According to that VOA the viscosity was 6.1 cSt at 100ºC, a very close match for Red Line D6 ATF at 6.4 cSt.

What really gets my attention is when you say that it shifts MUCH smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe 247 View Post
My dealership sold me 2 quarts, they even sold me 1.5 for the diff, bmw of vista just in case you're wondering.
Thanks for that info deluxe 247!

Lifetime fill is such total B.S. I'm starting to think that part of the reason for it is so owner's won't put in a different oil in their transmission causing it to get 1.5% worse fuel economy. Never mind that the need a whole new transmission in 200k km.

Why build such high technology cars, so far advanced when compared to their older versions, and then refuse to maintain them so that they fail at a maximum of 250k km? So they can sell us a new car that's "even more efficient" and pocket the money...

For Sale: 2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Sport / M-Technic / no iDrive / Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, 19" VMR VB3, Pilot Super Sport, M3 control arms + tension links (fr) S. California

Last edited by NoTempoLimitN54; 12-07-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0