05-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
vertm3freak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 335is, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive
Some education here on turbo seals. The seals are actually more like large snap rings which when positioned correctly (open area up) don't blow oil into the intake and exhaust. Rebuilding the turbos is a very labor intensive project which is why most just replace them with rebuild or remanufactured turbos.

If this was my 335 I would be checking the intake to be sure you are not blowing oil into the intake which does happen under both boost and under vacuum. BMW doesn't have the most robust PCV system and many times it is leaking. Thus don't think it is just the turbos (which is very possible by the way) or as mentioned previously other engine oil causes.

Be cautious about what the dealer says. Many times they are looking to remove and replace. I have had great success with one dealer and OK success with another. Post what they tell you. You can if you can afford the downtime send your turbos off for a rebuild and they will provide you with like new turbos that are much cheaper than removing and replacing. If you do buy new turbos try Tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com as they are one of the cheapest dealer parts supplier out there.
Thanks a lot for all of this good info!

Just an update guys. I was driving my car today and all sudden the fan started working and the car was over heating! I parked and as soon as I parked the red temperature symbol came on. I had to tow the car back and now it's sitting in my garage.
I have no idea what is going on now it is really confusing. Anyone think those two things are related or was it just a coincidence?
Appreciate 0