View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #796
eddesq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3MC Black Sapphire

Hi all,

I have a 2008 E92 with the sport package (round airbag, chrome trim on steering wheel cover). I recently purchased an M3 steering wheel (smooth leather with tri-color stitching) and M3 cover, and the wheel itself came with the metal "plate" that contains the airbag spring clips and what appears to be all of the necessary "wiring" (black and green airbag connectors and the left connector to the steering column). A photo is attached.

I've read the thread, but I'm still not sure if any other owners have purchased steering wheels that included a new plate and wiring, or if everyone has simply re-used the plate and wiring that was included on the OEM wheel. My first question is whether there is any reason why I would need to replace the plate and wiring currently on the M3 wheel with the plate and wiring currently on the OEM wheel (which is still on my car). My second question is whether the right-sided connector to the steering wheel column originates from the right set of steering wheel controls. My final question is whether the left set of steering wheel controls likewise "plugs into" something, or not. My apologies if these are dumb questions and/or previously have been addressed in the thread.

I'm a new member to the forum and a first time poster, in addition to a new BMW owner, and I'm not terribly mechanically inclined. That being said, the consensus here seems to be that the steering wheel swap is fairly straightforward. I talked to my dealer about swapping it out and was given an estimate of 2 to 2.5 hours of labor. That seems pretty inflated to me, and I'm considering giving it a shot myself.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Evan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0