View Single Post
      09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #107
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No the Tesla does not do the same thing as an ICE car does regardless of its price. And I don't fault the owners for anything; they are free to buy any car they want (just like you and just like me). The Tesla can not be driven outside the confines of 200 - 300 miles of its home-base charger (per your assumptions) and then rapidly recharged and go another 300 miles (most ICE cars have a fuel tank mileage nearly 400 miles) and recharged rapidly again and go another 300 miles. The Tesla can only be driven a certain distance until a minimum of 6 hours is taken to totally refill it. If the Tesla is taken on some sort of "road trip" it is regulated to certain highways in certain areas of the country and can only then be recharged halfway in a period of 30 minutes (only if the Tesla is properly equipped to take advantage of the super charger station). A person with an ICE car is free to travel almost anywhere he chooses in any direction he chooses without a range restriction; a Tesla owner is not. The ICE car can provide better service at a lower total operating cost than the Tesla; that's what I've been saying.

You try to point out that I'm a hypocrite because I choose to drive a BMW E90 rather than a less expensive Camry while saying the Tesla is a worst choice compared to an ICE car because in both instances all the vehicles can do the same thing, but its quite clear the Tesla cannot do the same thing as an ICE powered automobile; so your determination regarding my hypocrisy is flawed. Even if ICE cars came with super efficient drive trains and had a 2 gallon gas tank and got 150 MPG they still would be the better choice than the Tesla just for the mere fact in today's automotive environment you could still drive the ICE car anywhere in any direction and fill it up for another 300 miles of range in under 90 seconds (for 7 dollars or so). The Tesla is a marvel in drive train efficiency (electric motors are very efficient converters of energy), however the downside is the battery used as the fuel storage device has the equivalency in energy units of just 2 gallons of gasoline; that is the crux of the issue.
A Camry/accord can provide better service at a lower operating cost than an e90. Stop being a hypocrite.
Appreciate 0