View Single Post
      06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
johncam81
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW X5 35i

Thumbs down Same problem here

After having my car for three days, I was told by the dealership that I have the same problem here. I was told that my 8/08 manufacture date is after the fix?? Clearly not fixed. The guys at BMW raised the car and showed me with a mirror where the power steering pulley hit the subframe. Belt came off while I was driving - about to get on the highway - where I lost power steering and then the car died (after lots of lights and errors coming up). It was dangerous. It has been quite a while since I remember going over a speed bump and hitting the bottom (which is very easy in my 335i conv. with these massive bumps and roads in Houston). Either way, this is a design defect, I'm at 52,000 miles with the CPO - same story - not going to cover under warranty - quoted me $3,300 for the fix which includes some crank shaft work/oil pan removal because "it is likely that shards entered through the seal." they couldn't tell me if that's the case of not - but still need to do the labor to be safe.

Anyway, I pitched a fit and said this was a clear design defect. They are going to check with BMWNA to see if they can get me some coverage. Anyone else have this problem with a late '08 or after? I'm not sure how they can say that it was fixed for my year when I have the same problem and the tech himself said that they see this often with the pre -4/08 models. He wouldn't really say if he's also seen it after. IMO, if they fixed it, they didn't do it correctly. And, really, when he showed me the distance between the pulley and the frame, I was a bit shocked at how they designed the car with this sharp pulley aimed right above the frame.

I'd be interested in hearing if you've had this problem and what area you live in. I've spoken to my lawyer (I'm a lawyer myself) and put him on alert if they don't come back with solution that doesn't involve me paying thousands for their poor design.
Appreciate 0