03-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Not really, it's easy to make a tyre that is proficient in the dry. However the difficult and skillful part is making it good in the wet too.

A ContiSport 5 or Assymmetric 2 will work much better in the wet, and crucially reduce stopping distance significantly and will resist aquaplaning better. This is what you pay your money for. Falken's aren't cheap because Falken like making less profit, they're cheaper because they're mid range tyres that are not as good as the proper UHP tyres. This is not to say Falken's are bad tyres, because they're not, but they aren't the super awesome as-good-as-twice-as-expensive-tyres as many internet forums would have you believe.
I would bet the premium brands do make far more margin (profit) on their tyres then Falken do. First rule of business - charge a premium for perceived premium brands. Look at BMW compared to Ford.

I would also say the difference is only a few percent not "much better" or "significantly" . Based on my experience, but not actually pushing to those limits.

And this personal experience is what the internet forums keep propagating. How many horror stories have you seen where a 452 has aquaplaned or not stopped a mapped 335d in time.....I cant recall any.