SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Exclamation DIY Track Aero: Side Splitters and Varis Rear Diffuser... well maybe

After seeing some of the aero upgrades on fellow forum members' cars like the inspiration pics below, I've been toying with the idea of getting some Side Splitters and a Rear Diffuser system. Only thing is they're not cheap, mostly cosmetic (unless tracking over 80mph), and pretty ricey, which breaks my own modding rules.

But, after some research and talking with a friend who made his own splitter for his Lotus Exige S track car, I convinced myself that I could probably make a pretty decent set using 3/8" ABS. So today I started making a template for the side splitters and snapped a few photos to see what you guys think. Kinda tough to tell b/c the paper template was sagging in the middle, but you get the idea.

I figure if I make them and don't like them, I can just take 'em off and I'm only out $50. If I do like 'em, I'll try my hand at making a functional rear diffuser next (walk before I run).

Links to some good Reference Threads:
- Brian's DIY Track Aero mods - helped me decide to give it a shot.
- EAS site selling VRS Carbon Fiber System 1 Rear Diffuser
- EDIT: added a link to my friend's Lotus DIY splitter discussion, and a link to his thread showing what he ended up creating.
- EDIT: added a link to Forcewerkz E92 M3 Side Splitters
- EDIT: added a link to Carbon Creations Universal Side Splitters

INSPIRATION:
- figured I might as well post all the pics I've been looking at for future reference so I don't have to keep all those tabs open on my browser

Click pic to see original thread...

SSR Wheels BMW 335i by 1013MM, on Flickr

Pics of Tee's DIY carbon fiber diffuser sides (quality work) and click to view the original thread:

PICS OF PHASE 1 - SIDE SPLITTER TEMPLATE MOCK-UP

Right now my design is very basic as it's just a flat edge, whereas, Powerbeast's yellow E90 M3 up top has a rounded flare to his side splitters. I may take that on later, but I figure I'll keep it simple for now. I know I won't get to work on this again until next weekend, but since I now have a template I plan on going to pick up some ABS and mounting fasteners. Also, I'll be talking to my friend with the Lotus or maybe even LTMW to pick up a few tips about how they mount their side splitters.

Here's what LTMW's Side Splitters final product looks like...

6/28 - UPDATE

My friend with the Lotus shared his local Socal, secret supplier... Calsak Plastics

As for installation, I consulted with LTMW and plan to do what they do:
- Fit-check on the car and align as desired
- Mark sideskirt and splitter with alignment marks to ensure correct location once removed from car
- Remove the sideskirt from the car (2 screws at rear wheel well, 1 at front, 8-10 torx T30 fasteners for underbody panel)
- Re-align sideskirt to splitter on workbench and clamp together
- Match-drill 6 to 8 holes thru skirt into splitter
- Secure splitter to skirt with bolt, washers, and nut
- Re-install skirt to car and re-secure underbody panels
- Enjoy custom splitters

Last edited by SneakyDeeky; 07-07-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 1