09-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #50
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Sorry, im not going to bite/believe in a 3cyl. The lowest cyl count i'll go is a 4 cyl engine. In my view the 3cyl belongs in Triumph motorcycle.
I don't understand why they don't improve the 1.2L 1.4L 4 cylinder engines and make them strong/robust/fuel/co2 friendly. Why the 3cyl?
The advantage of the 3 cyl engine over a 4 cyl engine is less frictional losses, meaning less fuel is burned just to make the engine turn over (which is why we now have the 4cyl N20 engine instead of the 6 cyl engines).

A 3 cyl engine has 25% less cylinders than a 4 cyl. If 4 cyl is 100% and each piston/cyl equates to 25% frictional losses, then you loose 25% of that frictional loss from the pistons by downgrading to a 3 cyl.

You also have one less pair of valves to operate. Lighter engine, manifolds etc, which all cotributes to a more fuel efficient vehicle.

Downside could be vibration issues because of the low number of combustion cycles per crank rev.

I guess the nice sound has to do with the frequency of combustions which gives it a nicer sound than a 4 cyl. It's kinda similar to a 5 cyl engine, which also has a odd syl. count.
Appreciate 0