View Single Post
      04-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I would not use anything but betalink, its the official part by BMW, why question them, question the way it was installed.

I did mine with betalink and the tape adhesive that came with the OEM soiler and mine still attached in the trunk like its welded.
I dont have any issue, I feel most those installed w/ problem are improper installation by untrained body-shop mechanic

I even did a DYI online, with emphasis on clamping the edges and taping it tightly during installation and cure time.

I also, emphasized excess amount of betalink at left/right edges, and do it when weather is about 60-90 degrees fahrenheit.

My photo DIYs are in e90 DIY thread and at my signature block.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...398#post227398

Note:
DIY Step-by-Step E90 Spoiler Install for Dummies
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ar+spoiler+diy

notes from jwarcd :
- The spoiler I got did not fit the curve of the trunk exactly and had to be slightly bent when installing to match the trunk. Not a big deal, but makes is a little harder to install.
- wear laytex gloves, the adhesive is pretty messy.
- clean the trunk edge and the back of the spoiler really well with the BetaClean solvent that came with the 3M BetaLink adhesive.
- lightly sand the back of the spoiler to give the adhesive something to grab onto.
- Now it's time to install the spoiler. BTW, don't peel off the protective backing on the tape on the spoiler until after you have installed it. (Once it touches the car it's on for good!) How the heck do I do that you are thinking? :-) Before you install it peel off about 1" of the tape backing and bend it back so that it sticks out towards the front of the car.
- Now, Put the 3M adhesive on the spoiler. Place the spoiler on the car and while you are pressing on the spoiler pull the tape backing towards the front of the car.
- Use the blue painters masking tap to hold the spoiler in place while the 3M BetaLink adhesive dries. The blue tape is easier to remove, and doesn't leave much residue behind. I also used small spring claps to hold the ends of the spoiler tightly to the trunk since it wanted to spring up a little.
- Clean up the the extra adhesive with the 3M BetaClean cleaner that came with the adhesive.
- I missed a little adhesive that was under the masking tape and was able to remove it the next day with a little BetaClean and the platic tool that came with the adhesive. You just have to be patient and carefully scrape it.
- BTW the adhesive doesn't come with the spoiler, it was about $15 at the dealer.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 04-02-2006 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 1