04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #44
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212
Just did this job over the weekend and wanted to say a big THANKS to the OP for this DIY. It helped out a lot. There's also a word doc floating around with very specific step by step that was also posted up on the board. It took me a total of 7 hours over 3 days during my kids' naps or after bed, and if I had to do it again I think I could do it all in under 3 hours. It was not as hard as I thought it would be, but I was prepared for the worst so maybe that colored my view.

Here are a couple extra pointers I wanted to make/reiterate:

1. You don't have to take off the radiator fan as the aforementioned doc suggests. It wouldn't hurt but there was plenty of clearance without it. I didn't need to remove any panels other than the underbody splash guards, which are obviously necessary.

2. The correct tool for removing the top water pump bolt is the following combination: E12 > universal > 6" ext > 3/8 ratchet. I feared this bolt but it was no problem with that tool setup.

3. The BMW type hose couplings on the front of the t-stat have those clips that need to be lifted to take them on/off. They actually need to be lifted about a 1/2" to release so don't think you're free and clear just b/c you popped it up 2mm. There are catches to prevent the clip from flying away and a pick tool is really helpful for releasing them. Oh also, you can get to them more easily from above than you can below. In fact, while you're up there, there's a hose right near the radiator that uses the same clip so you can get a good visual on its function before you start messing around where you can't see.

4. You will get a coolant bath.

5. It's a good idea to have a replacement radiator drain plug on hand. ECS has them for like $2.

6. When reinstalling the t-stat it goes up between the radiator and the cross member, NOT aft of the water pump. Move the unattached hoses out of your way. I somehow removed the old t-stat in that space but the new one would not go in the same way...larger flanges I think.

Overall, it was a tedious job but it's very doable for the home DIYer. Considering that I was quoted between $1500-2000 from area BMW dealers/techs I would take the $600 in parts and tools any day!
Nice info.

Can you post the word file?
Appreciate 0