07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #110
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
The issue people are having is that the product was introduced and portrayed as an open source tuning solution. Had they said they were coming out with a flash tablet for $400 when this was first introduced no one would be complaining.
Someone gets it.

This isn't open source if the only way you can load maps to your car is a proprietary device. Just isn't. It was originally portrayed as real open source tuner software with the only requirement being an OBD interface cable to flash maps. That's the issue many are having here, supporters.

COBB has some huge advantages over this as of right now:
-Complete COBB backup and install from stock takes less than half the amount of time this device takes to just back the car up.
-~12 minute map flashes vs ~2 minute flashes with COBB.
-Customer Support, Customer Support.
-Datalogging!
-Decent OTS maps and big list of professional tuners that support the platform.
-About the display complaint, I have a gauge for what I need. Before I did, I'd mount the COBB up and could see my boost/IAT/etc readings just fine with no fingerprints

I will congratulate OP for his work as I can imagine how tough something like this would be to do (I don't think anyone doubts that), but don't claim something to be even remotely open source when it isn't (vin lock screams this), it just uses existing hardware from Alientech adapted to work with the N54. That's the issue we are having.
Appreciate 0