06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #270
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffman View Post
Hi Guys,
Great thread. My trunk just leaked and I've got a water damaged and broken TCU. It's a '07 E60, but I'm pretty sure the same rules apply.

Can anyone tell me what this means. I see it in reference to the part when looking at various parts sites.

"A TCU (telematic control unit) can Only be ordered by specifying the Vehicle identification number. The VIN is coded when the replacement TCU is delivered. Recoding is not Possible. The TCU functions properly Only with matching coding. Replacements TCUs cannot therefore be ordered in Reserve! Retrofits and conversions To SA633 are not possible!"

Does this mean that if I don't order from my dealer I'll miss out on something? They want $1,200 plus labour to replace it!
In your situation, you should be able to just switch the TCU out and be back up and running (assuming the water damage doesn't go beyond the TCU itself).

The VIN they are requesting is just to make sure you have the correct part, and if you look on your TCU itself, it will have the part number listed. I believe there are still pictures in the front of this thread that demonstrate that. As long as you get another part that has the same part #, you'll be fine, but otherwise there are other models which will probably work for your car, but I'm not sure if they'd need to have the car reprogrammed for that to work.

What I suggest is you find the part number, be patient, and look for one to pop onto e-bay.

Also, don't forget that your old TCU still has value! If you buy a brand new TCU, most all places charge a $200 core fee, which you can get back by sending your old TCU in. If you go e-bay, then you might sell your old one on these forums or even e-bay, stating it's broken, for $100 or something. That way you'd be getting $100 off, and the person buying it from you could use it for a core fee and get $100 off as well. Just something to think about, and definitely don't just throw the old one in the trash...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0