View Single Post
      02-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #23
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by too hot View Post
There were some corners the M3 would never have got round at the speeds the Audi could.
That's the placebo effect of 4wd.

AWD doesn't beat physics, it only improves traction under acceleration, it can't improve braking forces as all cars have 4 wheel braking already, nor can it improve lateral grip at all as it still has the same rubber as a 2wd, so your comment above doesn't make sense, unless you were talking about nailing the RS4 out of low gears corners in the wet, or maybe (probably) the RS4 has wider rubber / better tyres, which will help cornering grip regardless of 2 or 4wd.

Having driven performance 4wd cars, I find them MORE dangerous in poor conditions as they encourage a false sense of security under acceleration in, so you go much faster, much more quickly, than you should, and you are still relying on the same old braking abilities as any 2wd car.

I find the 2wd of a performance car is a natural speed limiter in poor conditions.

Quote:
However overall the car did not feel "special" some of the switchgear was positively tacky and cheap!! The drive home in my M3 really showed me how good a car it is (in the dry) it has all the toys the RS4 had and I didn't have to shell out another £20k+
Bingo. Audis, 99% dull. (except B7 RS4 on its own)

Last edited by doughboy; 02-10-2014 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0