Turbo Guru
Rep
Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Thanks for the insight.

Right now I am working here:
www.beaugureaustudios.com

Thinking of going into business myself doing something similar as we turn away 5-10 potential clients a month because we are so busy.
Food isn't my passion but I'm getting a lot of great experience at it and in Chicago - you have to be able to do it to make money. So that - I also have done some commercial interior home shoots for Empire Carpet, I believe I would be able to shoot similar stuff for flooring places, furniture stores, and maybe even real estate or home builders as well. A lot of these jobs they only use online so a 5D is all I need there most likely. Product stuff would also be included in this so MF is really where I think the details will get that added kick in the pants shooting this type of stuff (food as well).
Lastly I do want to try and start shooting model/product stuff for boutiques or smaller companies for catalog type work.

I don't know... maybe I would be fine with a 5dmk3 or even a 1Dx but if I am going to invest tens of thousands of dollars into a market I know is there and ready for high quality images, why not also start with the MF? If they want high enough quality that my current place already delivers, I'd probably need to at least give them that - even if the file sizes are still smaller and attainable in a FF DSLR. It might also be a bit of backwards thinking but if I am contracted for a job that would benefit from MF I'd like to be comfortable using the stuff before having to shoot it and risk mediocre results with thousands of dollars on the line.

A P20 back probably isn't the way to go but I could find a Rollei 6008 AF with it and an 80mm lens for about $6500 - then get a sinar back (without the rear display - I would have to be tethered to shoot it which shouldn't be an issue) to fit for about $5k. So if I go this route I would be able to use the P20 for shooting a high end wedding or something if I wanted to, then use the higher res back when shooting the product/food/fashion stuff.
Some pretty impressive photography on that site.

It is all relative at the end of the day. I've priced out how much it would cost me to jump ship and switch to Nikon and that would be some 8-9k. I would still be able to justify that cost quicker then I would jumping into the MF world.

High quality is a must in the commercial world, you hold your own work to the highest standards as due your clients. Depending on the output of the image, even detail shots of products as you've mentioned, your gains would be minimal. The difference in quality becomes apparent when zoomed in at 100%+, it would never be apparent for web or even printing at certain sizes.

The main reason I wanted to make the jump is because I am constantly printing HUGE for clients, the infinite amount of mp and depth is perfect for that.

On a side note, I don't think I would ever bring a MF to shoot a wedding, the focus systems are notorious for being slow....which is perfect for me and most who desire MF because we are always shooting in relatively controlled environments.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0