SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Wind Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
My washers froze this morning with neat screenwash that said it was good down to -30ºc!

Just the nozzle, pipe popped off the back, and typically on my side as well.

The OBC was reading -9ºc and I guess with wind speed of 60mph it may have dropped to -30ºc?? I have no idea.

But I had to pull over and repair it as I couldn't see a thing. Luckily I had a Torx 20 in the glove box to get the trim off.

Managed to get through another 5 litres today alone, it is costing me nearly as much in windscreen wash as fuel at the moment.

Water doesn't give a damn about windchill...only the temperature matters, so your screen wash froze at -9ºc. My experience with pre-mixed garage washer is that it freezes in the jets and pipes because its mainly water, dye and some detergent and alcohol. Even heated sprayer jets don't help because the mix itself freezes in the pipes leading to the jets

Apart from the danger of freezing, the wrong windscreen wash formulation can harbour dangerous bacteria like Legionella, damage your car's paintwork, block the spray jets and/or block the filter. Given that the BMW formulation does non of these things when used at recommended concentrations of as little as 5:1 it really is false economy to use anything else IMO.
Appreciate 0