06-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
1) Its for less than 2 minutes, and just to test the engine

2) I can tell you a local BMW Tuner I know very well has for years asked people questions about their cars before Dyno test and before engine stripping. Questions were about running in period, oil change period and oil usage by the engine.

For the E46 his 6 year results have conclusively shown that engines that are run-in by their owners on average have more power and use less oil than the ones pushed since day 1.

He says he hasnt seen any noticible differences on tolorances on engine that were stripped for upgrades between cars following bmw's oil service interval and those changing oil earlier.

Its still to early for E90 results
"Break in" is mostly done (can't give you a percentage) when the engine is fired up for the first time after it's assembled. I don't know the BMW procedure about the dyno, but it's possible that wasn't the first time the engine was fired up. Even if it was, that initial run, even if only for 2 minutes, did a LOT of work in mating the pistons to rings.
The customer gets the engine already "broke in" for all intents and purposes. The rest is to make sure that everything else is allowed to "marry" itself on the car before you go pushing it, especially tires, which may still have some manufacture "release" material on them that can be slippery.
Appreciate 0