View Single Post
      10-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
They aren't trying to pull a fast one on you if that's what you're asking. If you've got oil pooling up then its a sure sign that they need to replace the valve cover gasket and related seals. It's not a difficult job for the mechanically inclined (I work on F-16's so nothing with these cars really phases me anymore) but if you aren't a wrench turner or have some friends that know their way under the hood, leave it to the professionals.

Quick search on Google (Google Magic FTW) resulted in this:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...4-30i30si.aspx

So you could DIY if you felt inclined to save some money.
Thanks. It is not the VCG as that was replaced when my lifter service was done. It looks to be clean around the gasket aside from what may have dripped down off the valve cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeguth1s View Post
Check this out:
Thanks. I believe I have seen this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
And this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...c+Valve+sensor

If this is the problem you are having yes, you do need to actually remove everything like the dealer said. Looks like a lot of work.
I actually did ask them to check the sensor when it was in and they said the oil in it was coming from the top. i.e. the valve cover and that the sensor has not failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Ignore the rest of the people in this thread, they obviously haven't done this job and don't know what they're talking about. The "crevices" the dealer is speaking of are above the valve cover gasket, it would be some trick if a leaky VCG was causing oil to pool there. valvetronic motor gasket would definitely do it. Eccentric shaft sensor is a different issue entirely; BUT be careful when you're doing this repair because if you remove the valvetronic motor incorrectly then you can damage the eccentric shaft sensor and you will have to pull off the valve cover.

It is true that if you are changing the valve cover gasket you will also need to change the valvetronic motor gasket, however the opposite is not true. The valvetronic motor gasket sits between the valve cover and the valvetronic motor; it can be accessed by popping the engine cover off, removing the screws holding the wiring harness in place, removing the screws that secure the valvetronic motor and then carefully unscrewing the valvetronic motor. There is no need to remove the valve cover. It's actually a very easy DIY job, I'll do some searching around today to see if I can find some pictures to help you. Feel free to PM me if you've got a questions.
I believe you have the answer I was looking for and if it is true, they were trying to pull a fast one on me. They quoted me over $1000 to remove the Valve cover and change the seal. I could tackle it myself but I wasn't going to go through that as it seemed ridiculous that the seal would require that.

I have the bentley manual and I reviewed the process for taking the motor out. Turn clockwise until you feel tension from the shaft then turn counter clockwise and pull it out. It just doesn't say that the seal is accessible after that. I am guessing I should be able to see it there and be able to pull it out. Any further feedback about that would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0