View Single Post
      09-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I don't really like the idea of every BMW motor having a turbo on it but it seems to be where we are headed. I also agree with the opinion that BMW has to change to survive.

If I were in the market for a new SUV right now, I would look hard at a X1. I want something big enough to tow my 2000 lb boat but I do not want anything huge. I'd be even more interested if they brought the turbo diesel model here. The possibility of european delivery is also of interest. I wouldn't expect a X1 to go around an autorcross course like my 128i but a couple years ago we had a X5 participate and it did pretty well. It has a lot of Dinan enhancements but I was surprised. About 3 years ago one of the instructors at the PC gave hot laps to a number of people in a X6M. Some got a little "sea-sick" but the time he set was within 5 seconds of the time of another instructor in a M3. Both had 3 passengers aboard but were within 10 seconds of the fastest time in the autocross. BMW SAVs may not look like the ultimate driving machine but some of them can get around a road course pretty quickly.

If you define BMW by the inline 6 cylinder or as a sporty coupe then they are inconsistent with most models these days. If you define them as a car with unusually good handling for the type vehicle it is, I think they may still be consistent with their history.

Jim