View Single Post
      11-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
It's a difficult one as I think that the 325D and the hypothetical (at the moment) 323D would appeal to different people.

Although they put out about the same headline power figure I'll bet that the larger capacity of the 325D (3litre) gives it a flatter torque curve and so a more relaxed drive with more in gear flexibility. Equally the six cylinder engine will make it that much more quiet, smooth and refined. For somebody who isn't bothered about absolute fuel economy but is still budget conscious it is the entry level to six cylinder motoring in the diesel 3. As such it deserves it's place in the model line-up

However, a "323D" would be one hell of a proposition for anyone who wants good economy or is facing a company car tax bill. Enough torque to put most normal cars in the shade and excellent fuel economy to boot. It might not be as fast as a 325D given a peakier torque curve so a little less acceleration for the same revs, but I'll bet it wouldn't be more than a couple of tenths off. But who knows until they try it?

The 320d isn't the best selling BMW without reason. A "323D" could easily take that title.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0