10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #461
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
I've actually never heard that fire argument and that's just pure stupidity. You are clearly way more likely to get injured as a result of impact than fire. However on track, the chance of a rollover isn't that slim as compared to the likelihood of your car catching fire.

I do agree however it will hold you better and prevent fatigue, although fatigue is more relevant to driving on track. Can't see how more/less fatigue will really come into play during an incident.

Empirical data is something I welcome as well, but don't think the question is killed due to harness vs saved due to harness, rather incidents with harness only vs incidents with harness and roll bar.

Jeff - I'm not disagreeing with you but like I said, end of day no matter how strong of an opinion you have on the topic, club rules are club rules. If the chief of tech is another example of a "forum" guy, so be it. NASA NE's tech is pretty stiff and I recall someone getting denied at Wakins because his harness bar wasn't set at the right angle (and he had a full cage). The issue was of course the potential submarining aspect - it's a real concern to them. Whether it's set at the wrong angle or it's not used in conjunction with a rollbar is something we'll have to deal with.

And for the record, I would love to get away with just a bolt-in harness bar. It's clean, not permanent and simple...
I know you're just trying to figure out what's best to do and easiest. I'm just trying to come from the other direction (my belief as well).
As for the rollbar: They do have a spec that they need to be built to. If the cross-bar for the harness is at the wrong angle, it won't pass inspection.
I've run with a gentleman at Lime Rock, NJMP and Watkins Glen with CCA and he had harnesses that latched into the rear child safety seat anchors. He's never been denied running with this setup. The angle is much greater than the recommended for the harnesses, but he's allowed to run because the seats have been tested to withstand the crush in the event of a rollover.
Yes, I'm sure the head tech inspector has his reasons for not liking harness bars, but for me it's a matter of common sense.
Appreciate 0