View Single Post
      10-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #269
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
The Xede alone will make power. However, one of the things about tuning its that it's always better to extract power from more than one area. Trying to make more power simply from ECU tuning deeply right into your margin of safety. It's doable, there is no doubt in my mind that adressing both the exhaust issue and the Xede will be better for the car. The idea of the exhaust is to relieve the engine of exhaust backpressure which is one of the biggest contributors of thermal stress and knock. With backpressure alleviated, we can take safey take advantage of things by tuning fuel/timing/boost more aggressively. Without improving the operating environment of the engine (by reducing backpressure, increasing octane or improving charge cooling), trying to tune things up can be tricky. That said, we will still offer Xede-only packages for those who simply cannot upgrade their exhaust for whatever reason. But probably not for a little while. We'll need to put the stock exhaust back on our car and do some more long term testing. As for price, expect the Xede alone to cost around $1300 with the harness and aux boost control solenoid.

Cheers,
Shiv

Thanks for your response. The reason I asked about that is b/c my car will be leased (for only 30 months), and I'm not interested in doing major mods, only to have to worry about them or remove them at lease turn-in. However, if the Xede alone will add, say another 30+ HP, it may be worthwhile, even if I have to remove it (I take it that it's relatively easy to remove) before turning the car in.

Also, one other question -- from your knowledge of the past, how will the Xede (as a standalone mod) compare with an updated performace chip from Dinan (again, another standalone mod w/o changing the exhaust, etc.)? I'm assuming you know a bit about what Dinan has done in the past to the BMW 3er's chip to increase power. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0