04-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #160
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Updates ?
I have recieved it and am waiting for the painter to finish. I have taken a lot of pictures of it and intend to do a full review once i get the finished product.
The short version: arrived in a plastic bag that was "loose" inside a box. I say loose with quotes because it had no foam or support inside. It was wedged in there pretty tight though. I dont know if it was the way they wedged it or if the box was slightly too small, but it had a bow upwards in the center section. I worked it with a heat gun for half an hour and got it to go down to an acceptable level. There were slightly rough edges all around the perimeter of the piece and on the ends that terminate at the wheel wells there was enough bad molding that i decided to sand it. After 45 min. block sanding with 320, 800, 1000, it was good as it was going to get. The very upper corner of the left wheel well edge had a crack on the back side that i was afraid if i sanded the front anymore would break off a piece half the size of a pencil eraser. So i stopped.

When i test fitted it the very outside edge screw holes where about a half inch off. I finally got up the nerve to push on the lip so hard that i thought i would implode my bumper and that allowed me to barely get a screw tip in at an extreme angle and leverage it in with 45 degree pressure and a socket wrench. Once that was in the other side was worse. I then worked it with a heat gun for 45 minutes trying to get the ends to go somewhere near my bumper. I would heat up the end, watch it conform to the bumper and as it was cooling it would pull away again. So I heated it and held it with a gloved hand with the heat gun on cool and it made it a little better. I am going to need a CRAP LOAD of 3m tape to get this looking half way right.

For something that arrived in this condition I normally would be really pissed. But I chose to go the cheap ebay route so i could afford to get gloss black kidneys and black lower mesh. (Both recieved from Tischer and both look great. Will install those soon.)

So, for $87 dollars shipped, you get what u pay for.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited by rkan; 04-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: readability
Appreciate 0