09-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_drei View Post
You probably hit it on the head here. Sometimes the optimizers go crazy and develop a fix for a non-problem. Since a person in the factory is making this attachment anyway, a hose clamp could have been used. My bet is that the part/assembly cost difference is minor, but someone made the argument that the clip-on arrangement is an error-free and consistently repeatable process. This design probably seeks to eliminate (BMW) warranty problems with the unintended added cost of long-term maintainance headaches for the owners.
Well, if you've not actually installed one of these type connectors it is not as easy as you think to ascertain if you've made a good, solid, seal-proof connection. It is not fool proof. The clip will slide into place without the connector being fully seated. Yeah, maybe on the assembly line the installer gets used to the feel of a solid connection, but a open hose-end on a hose bib with a clamp gives a easy visual inspection that the fit is correct. I think it is just way over engineered and unnecessary. Just my pet peeve.
Appreciate 0