Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Denis,

What exactly is the issue with the vanos? I'm under the impression that they are not a huge fix on the n54... I took mine out and cleaned them once per a DIY (linked below) and the shop charged me an hour labor. There are threads on here saying that the replacement vanos are not expensive... On many other BMWs they are very expensive, but seem pretty easy on the n54.

I'm very curious to see what exactly happened. What codes is the car producing? Is it just the 2A37 and 3100? If so, does the car remain in limp mode when you turn it back on or is it ok? I have a code reader if it would help.

Here's a thread that's worth reviewing (and might provide hope):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201
Thanks for that thread - that doesn't look like anything I couldn't do myself if that turns out to be the issue. Unfortunately I don't know the exact codes, the guy read them to me rather than giving me the numbers. The car did the limp mode once and I had it towed immediately after. Only time it was started since was to move it on and off the flatbed, and it didn't limp automatically after. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop to find out exactly what the issue is.

Actually, I just reviewed the thread and read those codes. I'm nearly positive those are exactly what the codes were on my car. Looks like $100 for a solenoid and a half hour of labor at most according to the thread. So if this shop is as honest and as good as I've heard, they shouldn't quote me more than $350 or so for the whole job, right? If they do, I'll eat the diagnostic fee and get the car towed back to my driveway and DIY and use Zbylut or Abba in the future for service.

Wish I had known you had a code reader - I'll have to remember to contact you in the future since you're literally walking distance from me! I just panicked when I got the coolant warning and then the limp mode and assumed the water pump blew and had it towed - didn't think the coolant light would be a coincidence.
I have brought DIY threads from e90post to shops for them to see exactly what's needed. Sometimes they'll want to do it their way to warranty the work, but I often say that I only want what I'm specifically asking for done...

I bet that your car would drive normally right now. I got those codes and the limp mode reset once the car was restarted. I drove around (hitting 13 lbs of boost often) for two weeks before cleaning the vanos and the limo mode did not return during that period.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0