11-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
yeah I heard that once they start running they will never come home. Our house here is like 80 percent carpet so that might be a challenge I was contemplating maybe let it stay outside once it's grown up but I'd feel somewhat guilty. We have a pretty big backyard so it should be okay there. Our fence is high too so hopefully they wont be able to just hop over.

Do you know if they need to be walked EVERY DAY or maybe once or twice a week is sufficient as long as they have room to run and dig in the backyard?
i would say dont even bother getting a dog if you will not walk it AT least once a day.

dog's need exercise, just because you have a big back yard and room for it to run around in, doesn't mean the dog will.

keep in mind, dog's love company, it can run circle's for hours in the yard alone, but will be much more happier going on a jog/walk with you.

also, you cant really judge a whole breed. only thing you can do is generalize physical attributes to a breed, average height, weight, etc..

as far as the dog's temperament, its totally up you as the owner. you need to set rules and limitations, but on the same hand, also rewarding the dog and LOTS of exercise. I had a pittbull for 13 years before she passed away. she was a baby, calm, playful, and not a danger to anyone.

I have owned a husky before, and they are great dog's. Just know they will not be very happy during the summer. Mine did not want to go out much, just wanted to stay put and lay under the A/C all day.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I would share some experience with you.
Here is a pic of my dog, i miss her dearly