View Single Post
      06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
braveplayer3160
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328I Coupe

What a person must understand (specifically in the automotive industry) from a business owners perspective is that there are going to be times where a situation like this arises, it's inevitable. There is only so much that you, the owner can do/make sure of.

But, it is the response(s) to these situation(s) that allows the public to understand the type of owner you are. Jay is and always will be the one who is going to take the credit for the great work and the blame for the bad, its just the way it works. I'm sure we all (in some way or another) can relate to the situation he was put in. The car was not up to standards and he knew it, he also knew that the customer would point it out and not be happy with it. What is he to do? Start over and lose money on the deal or try and fix the mistakes? It seems he chose the later.

Now, had he known what that decision was going to cost concerning his shops reputation I am sure he would have just taken the loss and started from scratch. Wouldn't we all? I am not faulting him for this per-SE, what I am faulting him for is how he chose to conduct himself as an owner and businessman. I'll be the first to admit that the slogan "the customer is always right" gets thrown in my face a lot and, while I adamantly disagree with this notion, I do believe that the business entity (and all that constitute it) should be above the low road and maintain a higher standard (in everything that they do) than the customer (no matter the situation.) The only exception to that rule is that if a customer were to physically attack me or make threats to my family.

With that being said it is clear that the OP has given Jay the opportunity (and most importantly the time) to make things right and that hasn't happened. He (OP) has every right to come on here and share his experience with us, how else would we have the insight on who to trust our cars with? That being said I am not here to point the finger solely at Jay, and say that his shop is Chernobyl for all things BMW. What I would suggest, and expect for a shop (more importantly an owner) is to take the time to address these concerns with us (prospective customers) and to make things right with the OP (whether he loses money or not). The issue here is integrity, the shop has lost that (in my eyes, and the eyes of others) and lets not forget that all of this is documented on here. For as long as the forum is active with a couple key strokes prospective customers will find this thread. How much business will be lost?

No, what has to happen is very simple Jay has to swallow his pride/hurt feelings ETC. He needs to explain the situation, and cover the issues with the OP. In turn the OP should continue to report the activities between the two sides to get the situation resolved. In the end, both parties will be better off for it. Just my $.02

Please excuse the typos! Cell phone.
Appreciate 0