View Single Post
      11-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #164
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

hi, I am doing the same upgrading to the subs. I replaced all speakers with Audio-System speaker set, including the subwoofers. They are the special set made dedicated for E9x by Audio-System. The subs have the similar construction as the earthquake SWS-8. I get an excellent acoustic results but bass, so I added a 2-channel 2x100 watt aftermarkt amp just to enhence the bass. But the result doesn't change too much beside more bass, since my amp is connected to the sub-output of the oem amp. I think the sub channel of the oem amp is really bad, and I need also the frequence below 50 hz, which is definitively not available by the oem amp output. Now I ordered a line driver (thanks to a forum member for the usefull info) to pull out signal from the head unit directly, and try to connect my amp to the line driver. I am waiting for the shipment from USA.

One thing I didn't feel well: one time I forgot to turn down the amp sensitivity as the input signal came, the subs were so loud and distorted as if my car have had begun to explode. I am afraid the speaker membrane might be damaged by hitting the sub-cover under the seat. I don't want to remove the seat to see them. Did anyone ever see the subs go that far above if over boosted?

jonywalker
Appreciate 0