Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remlemasi View Post
Do the M3 DCT paddles fit exactly the same on the M3 wheel as they do on the M sport wheel? I noticed you got both but ended up preferring the M sport wheel. Something is leading me to believe that there will be more of a gap between the paddles and the wheel (paddles closer to the turn/wiper stalks) on the M sport wheel than on the M3 wheel. Is that true?

Regarding the "incorrect" resistance reading for the "-" paddle, R2 in the photo looks like it's closer to the paddle and when it's sitting closer to the connector in the diagram. Could that be why the reading is off? Obviously, the set up still works for you, but that may be why.

One last thing, this thread <http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872226> shows R2 (in your diagram) being a 348ohm resistor, where you have a 300ohm resistor. Is the difference small enough that it doesn't matter?

Thanks for putting this DIY together. Very informative. I just ask a lot of questions. :P
If you noticed on the M-tech wheel, there were no provisions for the paddles at all when I started. I used the M3 wheel with provisions to make a template and transfer to the M=tech wheel. Then I cut the opening out of the wheel, drilled the holes where the are in the M3 wheel. The drill points are pre-marked which helps a lot. Then I had to grind down the aluminum far enough down for the paddle to be a flush fit like the M3. So with a little work, it will fit exactly like the M3's. If you start with a Sport or M-tech wheel with provisions for LCI paddles, you can do the same thing. The shape of the DCT and LCI paddles differ. You will need to cut the wheel. There will be a gap because of the shape change. You only have to drill one more hole, but you still need to grind for a flush fit. Some people just add the DCT paddle, but that is when you have the clearance issue you asked about.

most resistors have a tolerance range of 5%, 10% and higher in some cases. The package label should note this. As long as you are within the tolerance range. It will work like a charm. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0