View Single Post
      07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
bergman
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Special thanks to edrive90 for his assistance. I like to add some instructions to performing this on a E92 335i with Sports package and 6MT.

You should remove the intercooler to get to the radiator drain plug. The intercooler is super easy to remove. Two T-20 or T-25 torx screw on each side. Then pull the quick-clamp from the charge pipes off. When the intercooler falls out, you will see a blue plastic screw on the driver's side. This screw is the radiator drain plug. Unscrew this to drain the radiator fluid.

1. Once you have remove the intake manifold or pushed it aside, there are 3 bolts to remove on the oil filter housing gasket. The bottom bolt is the worst as you MUST remove the coolant-to-radiator hose by removing those two bolts that hold the flange. Once this hose is removed, you have another problem. The stock oil cooler lines will be in the way and they are difficult to remove out.

"Which two bolts hold the flange? Are they the giant bolts (with tork bits) on the top of the unit? What do you do with the stock oil cooler lines?"

2. You will need a long extension, 12-inches 1/4 drive and go in from the passenger side to break the last bolt on the oil filter housing. I did not remove the radiator fan since I was lazy. There is not much wiggle room to work with. If you get frustrated, I highly recommend now to remove the radiator fan.

2.b. To remove the radiator fan, there are 3 things that must be done. Very simple. On the passenger side at the top corner, remove that T-25 torx bolt. At the top of the radiator, unclip all electrical lines from the clips. At the driver's side, there is a big electrical connector. Un-plug that by squeezing it. At the driver's side, there is a plastic mechanism that latches the radiator fan. Just push this latch so it will release and allow you to glide out the radiator fan.

You will then notice the radiator fan is still held down by a rubber grommet to the outlet charge pipe. If you can't break it free, reach down and lubricate the grommet with synthetic grease like I did. Use a flat head screwdriver to push down on it so you can slide the radiator up. Don't worry, you won't break the grommet. It is quite tough. The grommet has a slit that is designed for a screw driver to slide into.

3. Once you have removed this bolt, remove the other oil filter housing bolts.

4. If you have the stock oil cooler, you will need to unscrew a bolt underneath the oil cooler lines. I believe it is a 12mm. The oil cooler flange will fall out of the oil cooler. At this point, you may see some oil drip.

5. The oil filter housing and oil cooler lines should be removed from the car now as 1-piece. You will need to separate it. There are 3 bolts holding the oil cooler thermostat housing unit to the oil filter housing. You should definitely replace the gasket that is in-between. The gasket part number is: 11427525335

6. Re-install the oil cooler lines into the oil filter housing unit. Bolt everything back up to 22Nm or 16.22 ft-lb.

7. Bolt the oil filter housing back up. Remember to also bolt the coolant hose from the engine block to the radiator back up as well. Again, replace that o-ring as well.

8. Re-install the radiator fan that you just pulled out.

Jump back to step 23 at the top.
1. Once you have remove the intake manifold or pushed it aside, there are 3 bolts to remove on the oil filter housing gasket. The bottom bolt is the worst as you MUST remove the coolant-to-radiator hose by removing those two bolts that hold the flange. Once this hose is removed, you have another problem. The stock oil cooler lines will be in the way and they are difficult to remove out.

"Which two bolts hold the flange? Are they the giant bolts (with tork bits) on the top of the unit? What do you do with the stock oil cooler lines?"
Appreciate 0