Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

[QUOTE=Gibbo;2267295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
I agree Carl it will never have to staus of a 911 turbo, but i dont want that, if i did id buy a 911 turbo. Mates had one not worth 100k in the memory of man. Plus every didckhead in the village drives a porker ( no offence chris and gibbo.......well a little bit to gibbo only joking)

I want the GTR because it just does everything i want it to.

QUOTE]

Cheers Steve A, whilst I agree with you that there are more than a fair share of dickheads who drive Porsche this goes the same for Ferrari, Aston, BMW, etc as well. A large proportion of people who can afford to buy these cars new see them as a status symbol and don't buy them like enthusiasts who dreamt from childhood to own one of these cars. (This is a few people and then the real enthusiasts generally pick up the 5 yr old + examples when they become affordable.

Back to Porsche the dealers generally but not exclusively are up their own **** and the sales people only want to give you a shitty trade in for your own motor and tell you car needs £10k of options or you will never sell it 2nd hand bollox. - and earn loads of comission, they are not enthusiasts but that is fine as most customers are not either.

THE Boxster I owned was £38k and in my opinion a bargin and although it was not quick compared to a 335d for example, the driving experience imo is head and sholders ahead of anything else I have driven for the money in steering feel, driving position,handling balance and weight of controls. You could place the car on the road with accuracy and most importantly to me it was really fun to drive when going slow as well which is a large proportion of the time in the SE.

My Dads 997 C2S is much more of a grand tourer imo. I would not personally have the confidence or talent to put it down a B road as quick as a Boxster as you are still aware of the weight over the back axel. The car is much quicker than a boxster straight line but not much quicker than say a Boxster S or a 335d in real world driving say 40 to 80mph but again the driving feel, control weight, engine noice is fantastic. A speced 997s is twice the price of a speced boxster and is no way twice the car!

911 Turbo is just so fast (but not worth £100k) and I am sure the Nissan will be as well no question - but will it have the overall control feel and weight of a Porsche - I am not sure.

It will be quick, it will have high level of handling grip, the gearbox will change in mili seconds and blip on the downshift and be dam smart and value for money - no question it punches well above it's price.

The Nissan would be wasted on me as I would not use it's massive performance that often and at four tenths it would not excite me. Hence a boxster/cayman/elise with a manual box that I could use at eight tenths more of the time would feel more of a sports car to me.

Gibbo, thanks for the response and i hope that with the use of smileis you knew i was joking

Last edited by Steve A; 03-07-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0