12-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
?? I'm not quite sure what you're saying/asking. Even though IATs stay cool[er] with meth; you are still at WOT for long durations of time; with no real chance for rest or cooldown. It will definitely help oil temps; but it's not the magic cure that will bring temps down to 240. Like I said before; Meth keeps my oil temps at 265 vs. 275-280 on 90* ambient temp days, which is quite impressive..but still in the undesirable range.

For the most part, the powertrain of my car has been relatively untampered with over the past year/10 track events as I was testing other components and needed all-else equal. I did encounter a few 335s and 135s who were first-timers on the track running normal street-map power and overheating (boost cut down to nothing) within 3 laps on a 80* day. One of them was running race gas and 17psi and race gas and he couldn't figure out why his oil temps were at 290 after 8 minute of hard driving, haha.

It's very simple; the more power/psi (regardless of meth), the higher the temps. In my [extensive] track experiences and testing with this engine over the past 2-3 years, I've gotten a bit of data. I'll look for the exact numbers I had in my computer from last year; but I have a good idea of the results.

At the long and demanding road courses with an ambient temp of 80*F:
12psi With meth: 200*Water, 265*oil sustainable temps. (Perfectly content, but could be better)
12psi without meth: 205*W, 275*oil sustainable temps (content, but undesirable)
14psi with meth: 205* Water, 275*oil sustainable (content but undesirable)
*14psi without meth/stock oil cooler: ~205* water, 280* oil..not sustainable (very undesirable)
*15psi with meth/stock oil cooler: 205* water, 280* oil stustainable (very undesirable)
**16psi without meth, w/race gas & clown owner: ??water, 280-285* oil after 10 minutes; reduced boost and limp mode (bad)
**17psi without meth, w/race gas & clown owner: ??water, 285 and higher after 10 minutes; reduced boost and limp mode (horrible)

* = Other car 1
**= Other car 2

Whew, long post
Well, I was hoping that an increase in power would not necessarily equate to an increase in oil temps, insofar as meth was keeping IAT's low (whether at 350 WHP or 450 WHP). It certainly worked for me, pushing ~ 17psi sustained for 10 minutes with no other cooling mods, and my oil temps stayed rock solid right at 250. Maybe I wasn't pushing the car nearly as hard as you would, as I'm fairly new to this.

Your analysis however has good data to suggest a linear correlation between power output and oil temps while running the 335 all out on a track, even with meth.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0