E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede install difficullties.

11-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 335i AT

Procede install difficullties.

Hello.

I recently bought a used Procede V4. I tried installing it but encountered some problems, and need help. I guess these are probably some silly issues, but I just don't know what to do now.

1. Is it possible to change the maps loaded in the Procede prior to installing it in the car? My Procede has maps for MT6 and my car is AT.

Today I installed Procede in the car and I wanted to upload the maps before starting the engine, but as soon as I turned ignition on something in the engine compartment started to make really loud buzzing noise I never heard before. It sounded like some small electric engine overreving or something. It also triggered SES light.Eventually I switched everything off being afraid of destroying something. I guess the AT car does not like MT6 maps?

2. To make things worse, my laptop doesn't communicate with Procede, When i tried to connect using Procede software it said it can not accees COM20 (or any other I tried), which I chose for USB-Serial adapter. And System Manager sees the Serial Adapter and says it works coreectly on COM20. Any ideas why it happens?

Thanks in advance.
Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

You need to manually assign a port lower than 10 for the Procede to be able to communicate. If you go in your Device Manager and open the properties of the usb to serial cable you should be able to change the COM port it is holding. Be sure and select the coordinating port in the Procede software so it knows where to look. Also, having 6MT maps will not have any effect on your vehicle starting, but you don't need the engine running to change the firmware or maps. All of that can be done with just the ignition on.

As to the issue with the buzzing noise, are you sure it wasn't just the fuel pump priming? How long did it last? Did it stop making the noise on its own? I am pretty sure I know the noise you are talking about and I think its normal, but a video of the issues may help diagnose it further. You can try and start the car as well, which will determine if the procede is installed correctly. If its not, the car should not start.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

Thanks for a prompt answer. I tried COM2 as well but it would not help.

Also, when I put the key in and then pressed Start Engine button without actually starting the engine it was then, when this strange sound happened. From what you say I reckon there was definitely something wrong with the install, because it surely did not sound normal. Also, SES light it triggered stayed on, even after removing Procede.

Just to make sure: the car should start normally, without any strange noises, even with the wrong (MT) maps in Procede?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo@G3 View Post
...1. Is it possible to change the maps loaded in the Procede prior to installing it in the car? My Procede has maps for MT6 and my car is AT...
You can and should update maps and firmware with ignition on but engine not running. There is no AT/MT conflict when doing this.

Quote:
...as soon as I turned ignition on something in the engine compartment started to make really loud buzzing noise I never heard before. It sounded like some small electric engine overreving or something. It also triggered SES light...
Could be the LP Fuel Pump priming or the electric coolant pump kicked on. If it is not either of these, check your connections.

Quote:
...2. To make things worse, my laptop doesn't communicate with Procede, When i tried to connect using Procede software it said it can not accees COM20 (or any other I tried), which I chose for USB-Serial adapter. And System Manager sees the Serial Adapter and says it works coreectly on COM20. Any ideas why it happens?
Procede will only recognize up to COM9. Try re-assigning to a lower number.
Good Luck!
If you still have problems, give Vishnu a call and they will walk you through it when they are open or maybe Shiv will chime in if he is not busy.
EDIT: Not fast enough, I see you have other help now too!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

The noise for sure was not from the in-tank fuel pump. It was definitely from around the engine and stayed on all the time until I switched ignition off. I kept it on for maybe 2 minutes, tried to connect with the laptop during that time, changed ports from 2 to 20 in Porcede and in the System Manager, and than gave up. I was really afraid something is about to brake/burn whatever..

ALso, when this was happening the Amper gauge on the battery charger that I connected to the car was waving, or shaking, don't know how to call it... the needle was shaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Check the subconnectors again. I have triggered the buzzing sound before by incorrectly connecting the car's subconnectors to the Procede harness. Make sure to line up the notches on the subconnectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

Guys, I really appreciate your help

Coolant pump... that could be it.. Unfortunately I chickened out and did not try to start the engine, this would make things clearer.

Also, SES is bothering me. It is still on. Got no scanner to check the codes. Any ideas what SES may mean while installing Procede?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

I would say carefully check your connections to ensure everything is installed correctly especially with the power wire in the Procede harness. I had issues with mine and it was rooted to the Procede not getting a good connection from the power wire. Does the vehicle start? If not then there is definitely an issue with the install. Once corrected you should be able to connect to it and change your maps. Is your laptop plugged into to wall while you are trying to connect? Sometimes there are power management settings that couse connection dropouts so to eliminate that from the equation you can just plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Coolant pump... that could be it.. Unfortunately I chickened out and did not try to start the engine, this would make things clearer.

Also, SES is bothering me. It is still on. Got no scanner to check the codes. Any ideas what SES may mean while installing Procede?
It's normal for the SES light to be on with the ignition on and engine off.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Once you get it installed correctly you will be able to read and clear that code. It is probably nothing to worry about. The install alone can trigger codes, so I would not to be too concerned right now. You'll be able to read the codes soon enough if there are even any triggered.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

As for the connections, I guess the harness is pretty much impossible to connect badly - I mean the connectors are all different: big black, white, grey and small black - difficult to got them wrong, also I made sure to have the arrows right

The power cable? Hmm, dunno, the connection was tight and all..

One more question about electric coolant pump: does it start everytime we put Ignition on? Because as I said, I never heard that sound before...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As for the connections, I guess the harness is pretty much impossible to connect badly - I mean the connectors are all different: big black, white, grey and small black - difficult to got them wrong, also I made sure to have the arrows right

The power cable? Hmm, dunno, the connection was tight and all..

One more question about electric coolant pump: does it start everytime we put Ignition on? Because as I said, I never heard that sound before...
Check the arrows / notches again to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

My issue with the power connection was where it actually went into the green connector. The spade connector thing actually broke off in the green connector and I hadn't noticed it. When I gave it a light tug to ensure it was seated well the entire wire pulled out of the spade connector. A quick attempt to start the car will immediately tell you if the procede is installed correctedly. From there we can troubleshoot your connection issues with the cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

Guys, I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately got to wait till next weekend to give it another try.

Thanks again.
Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Olo@G3
Poland
Rep

Also, where can I find Procede User Manual as pdf or sth I can print? Does anything like it even exist?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Connections are wrong. I am almost positive. Happened to me first time around
Appreciate 0