E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirls, fine scratches...suggestions?

01-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
bldunn68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92

Swirls, fine scratches...suggestions?

Hi All,

I just bought a used 08 335xi coupe. Whoever had the car before me, must have used dirty rags and towels when they washed the car, because it is covered with very fine scratches and swirl marks. The color is Sparkling Graphite.

I'd like to try to get the car looking better myself, before I try to find a detailer to go over it with a wheel.

Can anyone suggest a particular product and/or process for tackling this project?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Do you have a machine? It's very difficult to remove swirls/scratches without one.
      01-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Thumbs up Paint correction recommended

The only way to correctly repair this paint problem is with a high speed rotary polisher using a foam pad system to cut these surface defects out. Follow this up with a D/A polisher such as the Porter Cable using a foam pad as well for the polishing step and then again using the D/A with a finishing pad for your wax or sealant. Unless you have any experience with a high speed polisher, I do not advise you trying it for the first time on your vehicle. If not look into a professional detailing service in your area that can guarantee the removal, not the cover up of these defects. Check on any testimonials that they may have or check to see if they have a website.

Remember that your original paint job is better than a repaint, you only have between 4.5 - 5.5 mils (average) of paint on your vehicle which is as thin as a plastic garbage bag liner.

Avoid butcher and hack shops that claim to be detailers

**Remember one thing before you hire that next guy to detail your fine automobile.....

"DETAILING CARS IS A FORM OF ART. MOST APPRECIATE IT, BUT FEW POSSESS THE REQUIRED SKILL TO DO IT, AND EVEN FEWER UNDERSTAND IT"

Happy New Year!

Dave
Innovative Detailing

www.innovativedetailing.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
bldunn68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try to find a good detailer here in PA. I dont have alot of confidence that I'll find one though. Here in Central, PA...not many people take really good care of their cars. I think a good detailer would starve around here.

If anyone knows of one near Lancaster, York or Harrisburg PA, please let me know!

By the way, what should I expect to pay for the service? I figure if I pay to get it right now, I should be able to keep it pretty nice myself.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
This was the closest to you I could find with a quick search. It looks like you're right - central PA is very thin on detailers.

http://www.blacklabeldetail.com
      01-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Arrow Swirl and fine scratch removal

Within my professional detailing network, I was able to come up with the following companies that service the PA area. You will have to do the research on reviews and checking on their work. You may also try www.citysearch.com or www.kudzu.com for local reviews on auto detail companies.

I am not sure if they are still conducting business or not so try calling them first.

*PMP Detailing 1-(877)585-9165
*Best of Show (814)623-7008
*Convenient Car Care,Inc. (610) 623-9323
*Detail King 724-325-0008

If you look at my website at www.innovativedetailing.com you will find my services page. On this page you will get an idea of what I charge out here in Orange County, California for my services. Remember prices are subject to size and condition of vehicle.

GOOD LUCK,

Dave @ Innovative Detailing

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
my old car had a bunch of swirls in it from my wash mit over time. instead of paying someone 500$ to buff my car up, i spend the money on a complete polishing package.

i bought a porter cable 7424, a bunch of pads ranging in softness, and optimum compounds/polishes.

the nice thing about a porter cable is thats its not a rotary polisher. its an orbital! which means that it pivots around pin but off center. a rotary polisher pivots around a pin which is in the center.

a rotary polisher will produce much greater results, but is much higher risk of burning your paint or having high gloss spots. this is where a orbital is nice.

a orbital polisher does not get the paint as hot as a rotary, or anywhere near as hot therefor you are pretty much safe from any problems you could get. dont get me wrong, if you polish one spot for 20 min with a hard pad and some compound, eventually you will wear right through the clear coat.

i polished all the swirls out of my car no problem my first time using it. i was scared, but it all worked out no problems!
as long as your swirls are not past the clearcoat and into the paint, you will be able to get them out yourself with a orbital polisher such as the porter cable 7424.

it cost me in total around 400$ for all the products i needed to polish my own car and i never regreted it. i can polish my car for the next 10 years and still have compounds and polishes left over. all you will have to buy is new pads every once in a while.

definatly check out http://www.autopia.org/ or http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ there is lots of info on there and even some videos.

using a porter cable for your first time will be super easy and you will be pleased with the results.

im not saying that detailing shops are bad or anything, im just saying for the same price as 1 detail, you can buy all your own stuff and fix almost anything your car will encounter.

just another example of how good the porter cable was to me:

some guy hit my car in a parking lot and left some of his white paint on my black car. i got home took a soft pad and some polish and used my buffer to get rid of the paint on my bumper. you cant even tell it was hit!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
bldunn68
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pander, Dave and Spoolin...all good info. Thanks guys!

I'll do a little more homework, both on the services and the products mentioned.

Thanks again!

Brett
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Dealer prep was horrible...

Just wanted to thank Mike V. for his business this afternoon. Mike contacted me from this forum and was directed to my website that I have posted on several threads. His concerns were that his BMW 328i was brand new (picked up Dec. 28th), but there was swirl marks from dealer prep/wash. The rear bumper near the license plate is especially obvious in sunlight. Also there was numerous areas that had cosmoline drips such as lower door sections, rockers and deck lid corner. The vehicle also had a moderate amount of surface contamination bonded on the paints surface which made for a raspy and rough finish.

When I completed the exterior detail the results were flawless. I have included a couple of photos that show the vehicle after the job was finished.

Thanks again Mike!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
MJV81
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92

Wow...what can I say about Dave and Innovative Detailing? Extremely professional.

As you guys can tell, I am a new poster here. The 328i pictured above is my first Bimmer. I've been lurking on these boards for awhile and wanted to make sure I treat my baby right! I am debating getting a PC and doing my own detail work, but I wanted the initial treatment to be done by a pro.

And a professional is exactly what Dave is. I found Dave in this thread and called him. He spent a few minutes talking to me about what my options were, then called me again later that night to go over options of what I could get done. He went to my office a couple of days later to take care of my car and I couldn't be any more pleased!

Dave really went above and beyond what I was expecting. He spent a good portion of 4-5 hours paying every detail to the car: washing, claying, waxing, detailing, treating the tires. A few of my coworkers even had some questions for him when we returned from lunch; all of which he answered enthusiastically. Dave really went above and beyond for me.

Thanks again, Dave! I already referred you to my boss and several other new car owners at my office, and I'll be telling my dad to get his cars serviced with you, too!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool

Mike,

Thank you for the kind words about Innovative Detailing and myself. I so appreciate your business and any referrals you send, I thank you.

Enjoy the ride!

"Why shine when you can sparkle!"

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List