E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sample of the latest Procede Stage 3 Canbus beta map

03-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Sample of the latest Procede Stage 3 Canbus beta map

I bought the latest Procede a few weeks ago as part of the tuner discount promotion as I was very curious about torque target logic since its recent introduction into the Procede platform.

Coming from JB3 v1.22, I was enthusiastic about the very popular map 6 in terms of power levels, but found that power delivery would get lumpy and inconsistent at times, and it got me wondering a lot about the effects of throttle plate closure.

The Procede claimed to address this issue via torque management logic and a sophisticated hardware platform that claims to fully control the wastegates.

Given that the N54 platform uses throttle plate closure to shape and control power delivery, this concept made a lot of intuitive sense to me simply because tuners are adding much more power than the stock ECU was designed to regulate.

So it’s no surprise that inaccurate boost offsets would result in the ECU sensing excessive power levels and then intervene accordingly by regulating the throttle plate.

So I installed the Procede and began to test and datalog via the Procede user software and the new BT diagnostic tool as well.

However, I began to get intermittent contact with the Procede unit and eventually, found I lost communication altogether. Frustrated…I began a process of elimination to zero in on the problem, and eventually found that a wire on the Procede USB harness had detached from its connector.

I emailed Shiv and he promptly apologized and sent me one of the newer CANBUS harnesses immediately at no charge. The response and shipping time was outstanding.

So I am probably one of the first few to get this harness and therefore, Shiv asked me to install the latest canbus firmware and his most recent beta map for evaluation.

I am happy to report a big thumbs up for the beta canbus map!

Even though I was skeptical about the usefullness of the visual map confirmation blink on the dash…..it’s really a nifty feature. Gives you a visual confirmation of what map you are in each time you start the car, or whenever you press the remote.

If you are wondering what the new map feels like…..well It feels just like Shiv’s dyno plot indicates.

There is an impresive and appreciable torque gain throughout the entire power band, and it’s still plenty smooth.

I am running the stage 3 map at only 80% user torque because I am not fully modified. But nonetheless, so far so good. Only a tiny bit of boost wobble during the first 10 miles of adaptation. Afterwards, fluid and linear.

My peak boost on the gauge was around 14.5 psi and I could certainly see the needle hovering more around 12-13 psi in the midrange as compared to 11-12 previously. I expect that turning up the user torque values to the 90% default setting would increase these numbers.

Second gear induces gravitational forces noticeably harder than on the previous maps and I wasn't expecting the first neck snap because the previous map had an abundant surge of torque that my body had learned to anticipate. Second gear definitely has more of an edge now and really presses you against your seat.

I noticed that power delivery now pulls harder and longer towards 6K and third gear was much improved in terms of a greater sense of urgency.

Power is so deceiving on the Procede because it is so linear…..but when you look at passing reference points, you realize you are really flying.

So a definite improvement here.

Of course, all the creamy smoothness is still the same. Just some additional G-forces to contend with.

Job well done Shiv!

Can’t wait to turn the user torque up a bit as 90% is the default and I am currently running at 80.

Oh….and no codes thrown while running the beta stage 3 map and no animals were harmed in the production of this testimonial.

Last edited by Ilma; 03-27-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Nice stuff!!

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

how come your using stage III w/ out mods? Is that the only map that Shiv had ready since thats what his car is?

sounds like its working good for you regardless.

nice.
      03-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Good review. What mods do you have on your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Sim Simma
Who got the keys to my Bimmer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Sounds great, can't wait to get mine. nice review
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
how come your using stage III w/ out mods? Is that the only map that Shiv had ready since thats what his car is?

sounds like its working good for you regardless.

nice.
Yes...only the stage 3 map was available thus far, but we figured since I have the BT tool, I could give it a shot.

Interestingly, with 50 F ambients, my intake temps on a 2nd to 4th gear run peaked at 130 F on the stock intercooler, so that will be my next upgrade Septro! Been following the AA infomercials....lol.

I am running only DCI on 94 octane.

Tried 85% UT setting today, and boost improved and there was even more urgency to the acceleration. But the fuel pressure plausibility codes are starting to show their ugly little faces at high gear load-low rpm. Helps to downshift!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
bierry
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: pondering which tune again

So close to pulling the trigger on the Proceed
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Yes...only the stage 3 map was available thus far, but we figured since I have the BT tool, I could give it a shot.

Interestingly, with 50 F ambients, my intake temps on a 2nd to 4th gear run peaked at 130 F on the stock intercooler, so that will be my next upgrade Septro! Been following the AA infomercials....lol.

I am running only DCI on 94 octane.

Tried 85% UT setting today, and boost improved and there was even more urgency to the acceleration. But the fuel pressure plausibility codes are starting to show their ugly little faces at high gear load-low rpm. Helps to downshift!
nice....I would go w/ the Helix FMIC....my 2 cents. Its what Shiv tuned with as well as that is what he is running fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierry View Post
So close to pulling the trigger on the Proceed
do it
      03-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
nice....I would go w/ the Helix FMIC....my 2 cents. Its what Shiv tuned with as well as that is what he is running fyi.
I concur, it is holding IAT's well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I'd say it just about squashed all my IAT logs flat, gear after gear.
      03-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yes....I have been following both the Helix and VK motorworks.

The Helix would be my choice given it is tried and tested.....but since I still have warranty, the OEM connections of the VK appeal to me greatly.

I also have a little concern about how the Helix covers a bit of the radiatior area. I know everyone says it doesn't affect coolant temps, but has anyone actually datalogged this?

Gonna wait and see what JPSimon and others post of their experience with it seeing as it just started shipping.

BTW, Shiv sent me an updated firmware version 103beta108.bin yesterday and it certainly made a good thing even better.

More pronounced lagfix and even smoother acceleration I think due to better boost stability.

Downside is that I think Shiv richened the A/F ratios, so I saw a bit lower on the average mpg indicator.

Here is a BT datalog of 3rd gear from a 2nd rolling start.

Everything looks good timing wise, but by 4th gear, my IAT's had risen so high with the stock intercooler that timing was retarding but still showed a straight upward slope.

Not too shabby for stage 3 on a pretty much stock setup.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
One thing I haven't been able to wrap my head around is how to regain the boost loss due to pressure drop.

Do you just turn up the UT settings or does the Procede automatically compensate by requesting the same boost target psi as before intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
psu139
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
One thing I haven't been able to wrap my head around is how to regain the boost loss due to pressure drop.

Do you just turn up the UT settings or does the Procede automatically compensate by requesting the same boost target psi as before intercooler?
Are you talking about pressure drop do to adding a FMIC. Since you already have stage 3, if you bump up the user torque values it would result in an increase in boost. i think it is an increase of .1psi with every 1% increase in user torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The DME primarily makes up for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Here is a BT datalog of 3rd gear from a 2nd rolling start.

Everything looks good timing wise, but by 4th gear, my IAT's had risen so high with the stock intercooler that timing was retarding but still showed a straight upward slope.
Please do a FATS test and log; 3rd gear from 3k to 7k.

But this does identify the need for us to create a standard log template and Excel evaluator so we can output in a common manner.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
definitely go with helix

Doubt anyone at the dealer is going to inspect your intercooler, especially if you're completely stock otherwise, AND have a BT to clear codes

it wont be suspicious at all
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The DME primarily makes up for it.
That's what makes the most sense to me.....the same boost targets are still attained just with cooler intake temps and slower compressor speeds due to the denser air. Is that a fair statement?

Quote:
Please do a FATS test and log; 3rd gear from 3k to 7k.

But this does identify the need for us to create a standard log template and Excel evaluator so we can output in a common manner.
Refresh me again on the FATS variables to log.....are they:

Current throttle valve angle
Engine speed
Pressure in front of throttle valve
Status knocking
Ignition angle cylinder 1
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Current throttle valve angle
Engine speed
Pressure in front of throttle valve
Status knocking
Ignition angle cylinder 1
Technically, only Engine Speed is needed. That would provide the best resolution.

I'm creating a thread so we can collectively decide what we want to see, how we want to see it and then create the needed macros.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Technically, only Engine Speed is needed. That would provide the best resolution.

I'm creating a thread so we can collectively decide what we want to see, how we want to see it and then create the needed macros.
So just log rpm versus time in 3rd gear from 3K to 7K?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So just log rpm versus time in 3rd gear from 3K to 7K?
http://www.hopesystemsinc.com/bmw_fats.asp

And follow the directions. If you just log Engine speed, you will get better resolution and accuracy in the test results.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

And follow the directions. If you just log Engine speed, you will get better resolution and accuracy in the test results.
Ok....bookmarked that link.

Was I right about the boost targets being maintained with an aftermarket intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:

what does FATS stand for?
Appreciate 0