E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Aquamist HFS4-V3 discussion - 335D

10-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #45
AiM
Rep
Drives: E60 535dA M-Sport Edition MY09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
I ran the formulas on my car with my 1/4 mile mph and the 3 say I'm between 393 and 414whp assuming 4000lb weight (had a full tank when I did the runs). So it sounds right about on par with what you're seeing for just a tune and exhaust with no w/m. I just changed my thermostat so I'm running at 88*C now instead of 65*C when I did the 1/4 mile run. I also did TDIwyse's airbox mods at the same time and between the two, its noticeable spunkier.
Actually there is done a little bit more than just tune and exhaust;
-Both turbos are serviced with billet compressors (small turbo with stock size compressor and bigger with little bit larger compressor), ported waste gate from 10mm to 14mm
-3,5" downpipe, after that stock exhaust 3,15"
-102x350x550mm (4"x13,78"x21,65", DxHxW)
-Egr removed totally (egr cooler, hoses, etc.), erg removal pipe to intake
-Larger HP-pump
-some mods to remove restrictions to cut pressure losses between compressor and intake and also reduce exhaust back pressure
-All liquids and filters changed
-custom software

I think I will get actual rwhp numbers from dyno operator today.

Last edited by AiM; 10-16-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #46
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiM View Post
Actually there is done a little bit more than just tune and exhaust;
-Both turbos are serviced with billet compressors (small turbo with stock size compressor and bigger with little bit larger compressor), ported waste gate from 10mm to 14mm
-3,5" downpipe, after that stock exhaust 3,15"
-102x350x550mm (4"x13,78"x21,65", DxHxW)
-Egr removed totally (egr cooler, hoses, etc.), erg removal pipe to intake
-Larger HP-pump
-some mods to remove restrictions to cut pressure losses between compressor and intake and also reduce exhaust back pressure
-All liquids and filters changed
-custom software

I think I will get actual rwhp numbers from dyno operator today.
Thanks for the background info and data. I like your hp and torque curves on the dyno. Not an overly aggressive torque hump at the mid rpm, so you're controlling peak stresses on the drivetrain, yet still keeping high rpm torque for the larger hp values.
      10-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #47
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Actually there is done a little bit more than just tune and exhaust ...
-custom software
Can you give us more info on the custom software? Something you did or someone else?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #48
AiM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Thanks for the background info and data. I like your hp and torque curves on the dyno. Not an overly aggressive torque hump at the mid rpm, so you're controlling peak stresses on the drivetrain, yet still keeping high rpm torque for the larger hp values.
I like the torque curve as it is. I don't need more low end torque even the car is daily driver. Bigger turbine and water/methanol injection should help after 3200rpm where extra torque/power is needed to get car moving faster at straights.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #49
AiM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Can you give us more info on the custom software? Something you did or someone else?
Local guy did it here at dyno -he is pro tuner and he does mostly bmw and mercedes diesel softwares for living.

There is nothing special in software except it is done just for this car and this setup at dyno. That's why i mentioned custom software -nothing bulk software from tuner xxx.

I have done myself everything else except balancing turbos and software.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #50
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I have done myself everything else except balancing turbos and software.
Good for you! Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #51
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I really like seeing actual acceleration testing. After all, isn't that the end goal? Yes, I know bragging rights can be the goal. But since 1000 Hp is common place this days, I don't think our 335d is going to compete

TDIwyse, is a good example. He's has some impressive horsepower numbers and he backs it up at the track (and discreetly on the street). Not that it has to be at the track, today's technology makes it pretty easy to measure performance with a phone. At some point, increasing power has to be met with modifications to reliably get it to the ground.

I've had track cars and they were always equipped for the track, no compromise. I never put slicks on a street car at the dragstrip. For me there was no point. If your daily driver is your track car, I get it. Let's start seeing more real life performance data. Especially, before and after mods so we can all learn how to get the most out this platform.
DWR do you have any advice on acceleration testing, i.e., any reliable tool beside Torque Pro? For whatever reason, I can't get reliable acceleration numbers (I have checked car weight, calibrated accelerometers, etc.) and this includes using a phone and a table, both of which have high quality chipsets.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #52
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
DWR do you have any advice on acceleration testing, i.e., any reliable tool beside Torque Pro? For whatever reason, I can't get reliable acceleration numbers (I have checked car weight, calibrated accelerometers, etc.) and this includes using a phone and a table, both of which have high quality chipsets.
Actually, I don't like Torque to get performance data. Don't even really like it for logging parameters, but it is convenient. A little trick is to use Torque's plugin Track recorder and have the speedometer, tachometer and a lap timer (think Walmart watch) recorded in the video.

If you are trying to get Torque and Horsepower, PerfExpert is better (www.perfexpert-app.com). For 10 bucks, it does what it is supposed to.
Dynomaster (http://dynomaster.trackaroo.com)is a dyno and drag racing app ($3). Sampling rate is configurable at 5 or 10 HZ. Also exports to Excel, if you want to do more in depth analysis.
Remember to have WiFi enabled, as it seems to improve sampling. Don't ask me why.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #53
jason256
Rep

I know this thread is a bit old, but did anyone here end up installing an aquamist system on a US spec 335d? If so I'm wondering how you set it up. I have a HFS4-v3.1 that I just installed and it doesn't seem to be reading the injector duty cycle correctly. It only wants to spray when I let OFF the gas and the engine cuts fuel.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #54
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335D88 View Post
nc335d , why you upgrade the controller? the AEM controller is not good?
No,the one that came with the kit was not sufficient enough dealing with the 40 lbs of boost that I was pushing at full throttle. Whilst testing and fine tuning the car on the street the boost vacuum line popped off. The upgraded boost controller accommodates higher boost levels in addition to utilizing a MAP sensor as opposed to a boost vacuum line to measure boost hence initiating the water/meth pump.
Sorry to be so ignorant but the MAP sensor is just sending an electronic communication that the controller can read vs. what I have done with my Snow Kit which is to actually tap the charge pipe to get a boost reading for the Snow controller. Which is to say, one fewer hole required for the charge pipe. Seems like a better way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #55
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason256 View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, but did anyone here end up installing an aquamist system on a US spec 335d? If so I'm wondering how you set it up. I have a HFS4-v3.1 that I just installed and it doesn't seem to be reading the injector duty cycle correctly. It only wants to spray when I let OFF the gas and the engine cuts fuel.
Contact Whitbread. He is an authorized dealer for Aquamist systems and has one installed on his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #56
jason256
Rep

Cool, it's good to know it's possible then. Now I just need to get my post count up so I can PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #57
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Let's see if you can receive PMs...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #58
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Some solder joints are needed on the board and you have to wire the idc connection differently than the instructions dictate for a DI injector. Still tweaking mine in, but it's working very well. Roads are unfortunately not remotely conducive to further testing with michelin pilot sports as my only tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #59
jason256
Rep

Cool! It looks like PMs are working for me now. I heard back from Aquamist UK and that's basically what they told me too. I got it working by hooking up to the non-DI fuel injector wire to the negative (brown/white) injector wire. My board was v3.1 so I ended up not having to change any solder jumpers. It looks like it's working so I'm going to put it on the dyno tomorrow. Thanks for all the help! I'll report back how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #60
jason256
Rep

I'm back home from my car tuning vacation to North Carolina. Thanks again to the guys at Bimmer Performance, excellent service and very knowledgable when it comes to diesels!

Everything worked great with the aquamist. I set it up to trigger on injector duty cycle and basically ignore boost pressure. It comes on at about 150hp and hits 95% duty cycle at about 300hp. I started out with two 0.7mm jets for around 650cc/min of flow but ended up with two 1.0mm jets for probably 950 cc/min or so. The extra meth made an additional 19hp (all runs were made using boost juice 49/51 methanol water mix)

The red line is 100% stock before any tuning. Blue and green are both with their stage 2+ tune, blue is with ~650cc/min of meth an green is ~950cc/min. Orange is stage 2 with the larger meth nozzles. This is the tune I left with. The fueling is dialed back with this one and it makes very little smoke which is necessary for now since I still have the SCR cat in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #61
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
I'm back home from my car tuning vacation to North Carolina. Thanks again to the guys at Bimmer Performance, excellent service and very knowledgable when it comes to diesels!

Everything worked great with the aquamist. I set it up to trigger on injector duty cycle and basically ignore boost pressure. It comes on at about 150hp and hits 95% duty cycle at about 300hp. I started out with two 0.7mm jets for around 650cc/min of flow but ended up with two 1.0mm jets for probably 950 cc/min or so. The extra meth made an additional 19hp (all runs were made using boost juice 49/51 methanol water mix)

The red line is 100% stock before any tuning. Blue and green are both with their stage 2+ tune, blue is with ~650cc/min of meth an green is ~950cc/min. Orange is stage 2 with the larger meth nozzles. This is the tune I left with. The fueling is dialed back with this one and it makes very little smoke which is necessary for now since I still have the SCR cat in place.
A nearly 50% increase in rwhp with a tune, deletes, and some meth. Thats just crazy! Love our engine.

Do you happen to have any torque numbers or a run comparison graph?
      02-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #62
jason256
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefferso View Post
A nearly 50% increase in rwhp with a tune, deletes, and some meth. Thats just crazy! Love our engine.

Do you happen to have any torque numbers or a run comparison graph?
I know! I am really happy with it. Here is a graph showing torque too. Red is stock, blue is the somewhat smoky stage 2+ tune, and green is the stage 2 tune I left with.

Other factors affecting power:
1. CBU cleaning was just done <1000 miles ago.
2. The new downpipe has an oxidation cat in it (which works really well to reduce the smell).
3. My air filter was quite dirty. We did a final pull with the air box open and it picked up another 16hp just from that. I've got a new filter coming in tomorrow but long term I'm thinking about ways to make some sort of air box replacement that still pulls in fresh air.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #63
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Thanks for the write up Jason, i'll be defo asking you and whitbread for tips when i do mine!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #64
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Hey guys. I've been running my water from alcohol injection systems (AIS) without any problems for the last few weeks. The owner Rodney seems pretty honest when I talked to him on the phone for a system build and the price is legit. I went with two 375ml nozzles injecting @25lbs from the adjustable 20-120psi boost tap. The car is much more powerful and the system design itself is smart and clean. The low reservoir red light is useful and the green "injection" light is awesome. I have the lights mounted perpendicular to each other above the interior of navigation screen by the vents.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #65
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335D88 View Post
nc335d , why you upgrade the controller? the AEM controller is not good?
No,the one that came with the kit was not sufficient enough dealing with the 40 lbs of boost that I was pushing at full throttle. Whilst testing and fine tuning the car on the street the boost vacuum line popped off. The upgraded boost controller accommodates higher boost levels in addition to utilizing a MAP sensor as opposed to a boost vacuum line to measure boost hence initiating the water/meth pump.
40 lbs...God your car must haul ass.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #66
TLO03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E

Has anyone installed early version of hfs-4 ? I have a n54 specific unit i bought when they first came out. I'd like to get some input on it..

Last edited by TLO03; 08-25-2016 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0